Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there recently bought an Alfa 156 1.8 T-Spark want to start tuning the engine and was think of getting remaped, been looking at some web sites who claim they can take the engine from its standard 140bhp upto 190bhp with a new chip etc, just wondered if there was anyone out there who knows if this is possible and if its worth it? Is there any additional engine upgrades/tuning I should gett done before doing this? Or should I bother doing this at all and concentrate on on other areas 1st>And does anyone know what else I can do to the engine to increase horsepower and torque?

·
Vendor
45,288 Posts
Remapping your engine will make 5-10bhp at best, its only the turbo diesels that get such massive gains. Realistically, without spending a couple of thousand you aren't going to get more than 165bhp or so out of this engine. Worth a mention are:

- Improve the air flow in (induction kit or some sorts)
- Improve the air flow out (exhaust)
- Lighten rotational components (wheels, flywheel, aux crank pulley)
- Remap

Personally, you would be better off spending the money on handling and braking first, these will be better value for money in terms of allowing you to go faster.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice, think I will keep the engine fairly standard, probably improve airflow etc as and when. Mite just leave this as the family saloon and look at buying something for the weekend I can really go mad on.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
+1 to Dan ... I started to look at getting work done on my 2.0 TS when I had it, but quickly relised that alfa had done a reasonable job of it and to get any serious power out of it the only real way would be to fit a turbo charger ...

·
Registered
213 Posts
Thanks for the advice, think I will keep the engine fairly standard, probably improve airflow etc as and when. Mite just leave this as the family saloon and look at buying something for the weekend I can really go mad on.
That's about spot on. Don't go mad on the 1.8, just get yourself a V6 for the weekends. :thumbs:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts