Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
38,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As much as my Giulietta is a great car (A flawed gem is probably more accurate), I really miss driving a big petrol engine car.

I have had to borrow my dad's BMW 335i Convertible for a couple of days, due to the Mrs' Focus needing a clutch master cylinder.

It doesn't actually feel any quicker than the G at normal speeds, but the revvyness, the smoothness and the sound are all to die for in comparison, and the way it shifts at higher speeds is very impressive for a heavy car.

I am going to have to sell the G very soon due to needing some money for a mortgage, but I think a big engined petrol is what I am going to go for next, if I can get one cheap enough.

I am only doing around 10,000 miles per year so it isn't going to break the bank.

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
Yup.

I plan to forego the electric leather seats, HID headlights, ambient
lighting and other fripperies on the next car to free up the 4000 Euros
of budget to pay the eco tax on a proper engined voiture. :thumbs:

·
Registered
38,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will probably be looking to spend about 2k, so would like a few suggestions on a cheap big engined car.

4 sets are a must, and 4 doors would be preferrable due to having kids.

A few I have thought about so far.

BMW E46 or E39 with 3 litre straight 6
Ford Mondeo 2.5/3.0
Jaguar X/S type (not that keen on the styling)
Alfa 156 V6 (Getting hard to find, and might need too much TLC)
Golf Mk4 V6 4 motion (My last Golf wasn't very reliable)

Any other suggestions?

Must have 5 or more cylinders, and 200bhp+

:)

·
Registered
38,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good call, my dad had a 3.2 Jag XJ8 many years back and it was very good. The only thing that puts me off is that the vast majority would be an automatic.

3.0 Jag X-types are very cheap, but from what I read in Car Mechanics magazine they have a bit of a rust issue.

My brother is good at welding though. ;)

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Merc S class 4.2 loads of kit, chip as chips, and still looks posh

·
Registered
37,739 Posts
Thank you for saving me symon :thumbs:

Looking for a quick petrol estate (these last few months) and I have despaired - sod all available apart from very expensive Bimmers and Audis. I had almost reached the point of giving up and going for a diseasel.

I'm sticking to my guns now!

·
Registered
12,570 Posts
I would love a big Volvo estate, saw one on Midsomer Murders the other night, something like a 760. Stunning.

Would be a great runabout and carrier for all my DIY materials.

But.............

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
I will probably be looking to spend about 2k, so would like a few suggestions on a cheap big engined car.

Ford Mondeo 2.5/3.0

Any other suggestions?

Here. Go rescue this.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201601109962628

I'd love to rescue it myself. But a big V6 is not appropriate for me right now.

Stunning colour, looks better than some GTAs and doesn't have the silly maintenance costs for it being a GTA. :thumbs:

·
Vendor
46,125 Posts

Ford Mondeo 2.5/3.0

Any other suggestions?

How about a 528i? :lol:

Can't go wrong with the 330i/530i really. They are good engines and good cars generally. I wouldn't bother with the Mondeo or X-type V6s, they are horrendously thirsty for what they are. I remember our old head tech had an ST220 Mondeo for a while and it was worse on fuel than his Sierra Cosworth!

156 V6 is nice but maybe you've been there/done that already? If you got one which was a facelift interior then it'd be different enough I suppose but they're rare.

Not a fan of the Golf. What about a big engine'd Volvo? V70R?

Reactions: symon

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
Thank you for saving me symon :thumbs:

Looking for a quick petrol estate (these last few months) and I have despaired - sod all available apart from very expensive Bimmers and Audis. I had almost reached the point of giving up and going for a diseasel.

I'm sticking to my guns now!
V60 T6, 360(?)hp. What's the problem? :confused:

·
Registered
4,924 Posts
The mk1 Volvo v70r is a surpisingly good car. Very Alfa-ish to drive.

5cyl, 2.3 turbo with 240bhp as stock. Can be taken much higher quite cheaply so I am led to believe.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I'm running some big petrol engines at the moment, the noise, sensory feedback as you get a proper power surge at 4500RPM (When the diesels are running out of puff) and somehow better sense of control is still highly attractive. The only thing you lose out on is the instant surge of torque at low revs that modern big diesels give.

If you're looking for an estate, the merc C/E320 is plentiful and a proper old school creamy V6 or the BMW 3/5 equivalent, or if going left field, a V6 Rover 75 Tourer is a car I have a soft spot for.

I did run some man maths which 'proved' that I could run an older 20MPG 5 litre V8 over 10,000 miles for about the same money it takes to fund a new car over the same distance (the elimination of depreciation funded the extra fuel costs).

·
Registered
15,204 Posts
Strangely, I came up with much the same list as you given similar criteria. I've more or less narrowed it to an S-type, a 4motion, or a 156 V6 SW. I've never had anything with 6 cylinders before.

V6 sportwagons are like rocking horse ****, so that's probably a non starter. I could live with a 6-pot 3 series touring but most of them are dog rough 4-pots or ancient e36s with silly prices.

My other thought was an Octavia VRS.

·
Registered
15,204 Posts
A Saab 9-5 aero would also deliver the powerwith one less pot.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts