Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
....the world of Alfas soon to go the dark 'Japanese' side

I ideally want a Brera but finances won't stretch at the mo so I have been to look at an RX-8. I haven't had a test drive yet but I am extremely impressed with the looks etc...and the insurance costs for a car with around 230bhp and a very quick 0-60 time are very good. I've not made up my mind for definite as yet but I must say I am very tempted. Will be testing one on Saturday. Mazda has always been my second choice since the MX-3 V6 I once owned. Obviously the 147 GTA in the same price bracket is a choice I am not going to forget yet so there is still hope :lol:

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
What about a GT? at least the dash is the same as the 147

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Was tempted by one myself, but put off by the 20mpg, incredibly high oil consumption (I think mazda recommend 1 litre every 3 fill ups :eek:)...plus the rotor tips of the 'wankel' engine have a habit of eating themselves at 30k miles.

Dash is nasty as well...keep to the Alfa flock :D

Plus honestjohn came up with this

Car must NEVER be started then shut down without reaching full operating temperature or petrol washout will harm rotor seals. Car must not be used for short runs from cold. CO2 284g/km, so Group G VED (£300pa 2007/8; £400pa from 2008).
What to Watch Out For
On very early 2003 cars, lower suspension arm ball joint and/or entire arm can fail so make sure recall work below has been carried out.

Make sure a heat shield has been installed between exhaust pipe and plastic fuel tank (particularly important on independent imports which also means ALL automatics).

Apparently, if the car is stationary for a long time with the revs running high the exhaust ports of the engine can melt, resulting in red hot molten metal shooting into the cat converter, spiking it.

Have been some early clutch failures, after as little as 11,500 miles. New clutch £940 and unlike original clutches apparently warranted for 2 years or 24k miles.

Pipe from oil cooler corrodes, leading to severe oil leak and a seized engine.

Water gets into the self levelling Xenon headlight electrics and replacing both is quotes at £1,501.54.

Anti roll bar links can fail after 3 years.

Cats also prone to failure if the car has either been over-revved or driven short runs from cold (£1,011.31 at Mazda prices).

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What about a GT?
I do like GT's but I want more performance and the V6 is out of my price range at the mo. Plus I know if I got a GT I'd just be using it as a substitute for a Brera :lol:

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
To be honest I don't get much better out of my 147 :lol:
...and I say that driving a GTV V6 :lol:

but the GTV just felt more exotic which went someway to the purchase.

If you do get one, let us all know how you get on with it :thumbs:

·
Premium Member
45,013 Posts
I've spent a good couple of hours behind the driving seat of an RX-8 in various test drives and lending off a friend.. Good for a blast round the countryside but I couldn't own one. They are no good for driving everyday as there is no torque when you don't rev the arse off them. I'll stick with my V6 thanks very much, and only a 5th of the price of an RX-8 :D

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I was looking at the RX-8 when I changed
from the 147.

Two things put me off:
Ford/Mazda dealer refused to p/x.
No folding rear seats.

Then Brera came out and the rest
is history.

Mazda would be my 1st choice Jap car.
I've had 3 over the years, none ever
let me down and all had above average
poke. (All had ****e interiors. ;))

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Around £8500-£9000 tops but anything lower is a bonus :lol: .

I have seen the 147 GTA in Derby and have already spoken to the dealer about it. Will get up to see it on Saturday if it hasn't already gone which I suspect it will have

Decisions, decisions!!!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Having owned a RX-8 I can safely say

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES BUY ONE!!!!!

It was one of the worst cars I've ever owned. I had one when they first came out and at first it was a nice car, different styling certainly... After a while the image wore off a little, the interior isn't made to fit perticuarly well, the instrument housing on mine didn't fit great at all. The seats weren't all leather as previously stated in mags, it's actually part leather, part rubber like material. Although they state it's got 231bhp, it's actually under this more like 228bhp. There are several different power ratings for the RX-8 depending on what country you live in. In Japan they had 240 as standard. And you have to rev the nuts off the engine to get any decent performance out of it, and it doesn't seem all that quick when you drive it... You have to check the oil ever 2nd fill up, the emissions are quite bad, and the fuel economy would be rediculous today. I had mine in 2004 and I could only get a max of 21.7mpg on a motorway run staying at 65-70mph, you'd end up only getting 280-90 out of a full tank. The Cat failures are due to the fact that to keep emissions down Mazda thought it'd be a good idea to dump fuel when you first start up the engine to get the Cat up to temp quicker. But this also means you come onto another problem in that if you start the car and turn it off again after about a min or less. the engine floods due to the fuel dump. I and many others had no end of problems starting cars after short trips. Some people couldn't get the car started until several hours later. Although the doors look quite cool, being the suicide type, they are DEAD flimsy. The slightest knock could mean a nasty dent, which can't be repaired easily due to the locations of the protection bars in the doors.
Then there's the handling, which to be fair is great in the summer on warm dry roads, but in the wet it is TERRIBLE! Mazda fitted the cars with summer tyres, and it would slide in the wet more than a TVR would do sometimes... and don't get me started in trying to drive the car in the snow, it was impossible. I ended up driving my car for several months with two sand bags in the boot just to give me a bit of traction. Oh, and the BOSE setup in the car is crap as well... always gave a nice muddy sound!!!

Rant over... :)

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Depends on what you need, but I was making a similar decision a few months ago, except I needed my car to have rear seats and a boot, as well as be fairly competent on track. The RX 8 just does not have the credentials, the GTA is a good choice, but needs a bit of money to be track capable. I really wanted an Elise, but could not justify the lack of seats. So I bought a hot hatch - a Clio Trophy. Like I said, depends on what you need.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You pays your money and takes your choice.

I like Jap performance cars, always have done. Probably where I'll be headed when I've had enough of the 156

·
Registered
140 Posts
I certainly wouldn't put the RX-8 into the jap performance cars bracket...

It's not that quick and I certainly don't agree with the performance figures on the car. I would say that the 0-60 times are around 1sec more than the so-called figs suggest. The 231 is only a smidge quicker than the 190. Oh and BTW the 231 is actually the power, not the bhp... Another thing that pi**ed me off when I had the car. Mazda should have been had up for that for mis-advertising the car. They didn't make it clean that the figure was ps and not BHP...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Definitely food for thought here. Especially from Hammered thanks

At the end of the day I want a car that looks good like my 147 does but is quicker. I know, I know a 147 GTA should be the obvious choice. My original thought was a GTV V6, then the GTA, now the RX-8. **** it, it will probably be different tomorrow. Was probably not a wise choice posting about it :lol: as I knew I would feel guilty about thinking of leaving the world of Alfa :lol:

My head is spinning

I'll let you all know what I decide

·
Registered
140 Posts
You be better off going for a Mazda 6 2.3, then a RX-8...

I forgot to mention as well, if you ever wanted to have a bit of a friendly little foot-down banter with another car, watch out, cause if you get caught in the wrong gear, you look like a fool, even against smaller 1.6 motors... (the so-called power band doesn't cut in until the engine is revving at just over 6k). Oh, and the sound the engine makes gets on your nerves after a while as well, it sounds like a hoover (no, I'm not joking either, it whines)

If it were between a RX-8 and a GTA, the GTA would win it easily. I know I wished I'd have had one at the time. My choice was out of the Mazda, a Golf R32 & a 147 GTA. I chose the Mazda as it was new and different. Plus on the company scheme it was cheaper to run... Or seemed that way anyway...

·
Registered
26,529 Posts
You'd have another one then Hammered ????

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I certainly wouldn't put the RX-8 into the jap performance cars bracket...

Actually I agree, it's a quite quick coupe, rather than a performance car, neither here nor there, kind of a fence sitter.

I'll be looking at some genuine performance from whatever I plump for eventually

1 - 20 of 26 Posts