Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I was dismantling an old Alfa 156 strut to get a decent mount and some spare brake line clips for my GTA. Since I wasn't bothered at all about the spring or shock I just shoved my spring compressors on and tightened it down, not paying too much attention to correct spring compressor seating.

All seemed fine when I undid the bolt on the top of the spring, everything stayed put nicely, nothing moved, all looking good, so I undid the compressors a turn to encourage the mount to come off. Nothing moved, so I undid them another turn, and then another when nothing moved. "Hmm", thought I, "I wonder what's wrong here?"

I stuck a screwdriver down the mount and had a fish around to see if I could get the top of the shock to move, caught the washer on the top of the shock with the tip of the 'driver, and 'Bang!', suddenly it let loose, catapulting the mount in one direction and the spring / shock in the other. The washer had jammed in the threads so undoing the compressors didn't release any tension, it had just ensured they were loose enough on the springs to come off completely!

Once I'd stopped looking dumbfounded I checked the damage - mount ok, shock OK, piece of wood it was embedded in not-so-OK, me - ok except for a large chunk of missing thumbnail.

Aside from this I'm just glad I wasn't dumb enough to look down the top of the mount while fishing around (I probably wouldn't be here to write this), I've found a new respect for my spring compressors and a new appreciation for my thumbs...

Make sure you treat your spring compressors with due care and attention because your thumbs are rather useful :thumbup:

·
Registered
12,570 Posts
Silly boy.

One of the most dangerous jobs on a car, discussed on here a few months ago when me and my son did all four coil springs on his car.

It's like handling TNT.

Glad you didn't suffer a more serious injury:thumbup:......phew:

·
Registered
15,223 Posts
Narrow escape that. It's a job I absolutely hate. I **** myself constantly until the top nut is back on.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Silly boy.

One of the most dangerous jobs on a car, discussed on here a few months ago when me and my son did all four coil springs on his car.

It's like handling TNT.

Glad you didn't suffer a more serious injury:thumbup:......phew:
Thanks, think I was getting a bit over-confident with the darned things, I put the new spring and shock together very carefully indeed after that :paranoid:

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Narrow escape that. It's a job I absolutely hate. I **** myself constantly until the top nut is back on.
Yeah, not safe at all, especially trying to do the job on the floor. Think I'll either do the job whilst it's still fitted to the car next time so it can only hit the ground, or invest in a really meaty spring compressor and a suit of armor :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pretty much what I said afterwards, though perhaps not quite so polite.

If I'd been less lucky I might never have been able to hail a taxi again, and I'd have to do this :biglaugh: instead of this :thumbup:

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
We had all sorts of problems with nose wheel struts on the Monsun. An aircraft engineer who we know, and is based at Thruxton, asked if he could have one of the duff ones to have a look at. Without thinking he used a saw to cut the top of the tube off, whereupon the internals under a very high pressure shot upwards and imbedded themselves in the roof of the hangar. Good job he wasn't leaning over the strut otherwise he would have qualified for a Darwin Award.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts