Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, My head is nipping!
I have an 02 plate 147 2.0 lusso, black with red leather, 61k miles.
I have only had it 9 months and I love it but I want a different car now.
I put oil in it all the time, which is fine, my heated seat doesn't work and my drivers seat doesn't go down, my petrol cap doesn't lock, none of this bothers me in the slightest.
However,I am about to put it in for a service. I guess I need to do the cam belt as no idea if any other owner did, sparks etc. Question is, is any of it worth doing or do I get rid and get a newer car.

Today I looked at every single car on the market, I kid you not! I have driven miles and tried everything from a bmw3, to a chrysler crossfire! It keep coming back to the GT. However realistically what is going to go wrong with it? I am looking at the diesel.
Can I have a realistic horror list please and an advice.

Thanks

·
Registered
350 Posts
noooo get the 3.2 petrol:D

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
whatever you buy, ensure it's all 100% perfect. i think a car with niggles - no matter how small - is a sign the car is not 'no expense spared', and may be only scratching the surface of more serious issues underneath. sure, you still can't be certain even if the car appears perfect, but it's a good starting point.

your 147 is an example - all those niggles probably mean the car has not had a perfect history. maybe it was sold cheaply, but that would be why.

if you buy a GT - or any alfa for that matter - worth paying a premium if it means buying into a top quality one. you may otherwise regret it (again, still no guarantee). maybe check out secondhand ones at a reputable dealership.

V6 3.2L is superb, so i too recommend it. diesel sounds like the more sensible version though, especially if petrol will cost you lots. except, as with any 3.2L V6 (6spd box), you MUST also budget for a Q2 upgrade to avoid future diff failure, as well as markedly improved performance. i suppose things start becoming expensive, but it's a bad idea IMO to not have the Q2.

good luck. but don't rush into anything. if the 147 is your first alfa, then perhaps keep it for a while after fixing everything, then plan your next upgrade and save up.

:)

·
Registered
11,591 Posts
whatever you buy, ensure it's all 100% perfect. i think a car with niggles - no matter how small - is a sign the car is not 'no expense spared', and may be only scratching the surface of more serious issues underneath. sure, you still can't be certain even if the car appears perfect, but it's a good starting point.

your 147 is an example - all those niggles probably mean the car has not had a perfect history. maybe it was sold cheaply, but that would be why.
:)
Maybe....my 147 had a faulty seat height adjustment mechanism but with the fixing cost here in Australia of over A$700 (350 Euro/280 UK pounds) I can live with it at the moment (NB owned the car since new) Other than that It has been serviced every 6 months and all things fixed as they have occurred ......

Unfortunately for me, I had not really adjusted the seat height in 5 years of ownership as once set, no need to adjust. However I was teaching my daughter to drive so I thought I would raise the hieght for her..of course it broke immediately.......

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am looking at an 06 plate GT diesel from an Alfa Dealer.
It nees to be diesel as I drive for a living and the road tax needs to be sensible also.
The issue is I keep coming back to an alfa and whilst I don't mind any ofthe niggles my 147 has as it's a joy to drive I don't want to have as many issues with a 'sensible' car( i.e one I am paying double the price for and thus won't forgive as easily)!

The question is specifically to the diesel GT what can I expect to be wrong, go wrong and what special attention will it need to try and prevent it doing so.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
42,863 Posts
Hi redrover....to be honest...you can get good and bad of any car...if you're just looking for the things that can potentially go wrong with a particular model you'll never buy anything. As an example my business partner and I both bought a seat leon cupra (02 plate) new.... he's still got his and I couldn't wait for the 4 years of finance to finish so I could swap it....:( . It's just the way it goes sometimes

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi,
That is exactly how I feel and the thread was to test the fact that I can't find too many moans on here about the GT. If I had asked about the 147 or 156 you would all still be writing it lol

I have fallen in love with a red GT cloverleaf now and am looking at the leasing deal.
will let you know

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi,

I drove several GTs. My uncle owned two as well. Personally, I would not go for the selespeed. The 1.9JTD is an excellent choice. I drove so incredibly many miles on harsh conditions and can truly recommend it. Of course you should check whether maintenance was done according to schedules...If so, then you have a really great car.

Do not underestimate the GT 1.8 petrol version, though not that fast, the engine is reliable, cheaper to maintain and easy to tune...

The driving experience of the GT is excellent.

Good luck,
Nils

G

·
0 Posts
I have a 2.0 JTS GT and in my six months of ownership I have had a coil needing replacing which was done under warranty. Other than that it has been perfect. I sometimes think I'm crazy for trying to sell it already!!! I know what you mean though. There are hardly any threads about complaining about issues with GT's. Which is great!!!

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
The GT has a few niggles but all things considered is a superb car both in look & drive.

Having owned one for 2.5yrs since new I've been looking around as well and am struggling to find anything bar the 159ti that ticks the boxes. The Scirocco drives better but can't compete on looks / style and has no boot either..

It even copes fine with 2 young kids space wise...

Go for the GT - you won't regret it..

·
Registered
78 Posts
I picked up my new GT on Friday and i've been over it with a fine tooth comb after reading some of the issues on here. :eek: Luckily everything is lined up perfectly and everything works as it should. :thumbs:

It is the best handling car i have had (and i've had a few performance cars over the years) and it is the only car i've ever wanted to get in and drive without a clue where i'm going. SWMBO has said the same too :wow: She is going out in it tomorrow when i'm in work "just for the hell of it" :rolleyes:
The neighbours are impressed and it certainly turns heads.

I really hope it continues to be as good but it has a 3 year warranty and if it goes wrong then it'll go in to be fixed!

Am i being too positive :confused:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am just awaiting the credit check to see if I can have a GT 1.9JTDM in RED! I am leasing it and decided that paying extra £30 a month for the Q2 didn't seem worth it. I would be too scared to press the button lol, I drive crazily enough!

The excitment is getting too much to bear lol

will let you know.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts