1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
417 Posts
I wanted my Mito 135 to sound like an Abarth, so I bought a 595. The Monza makes a lovely sound complete with pops & bangs.

·
Registered
4,924 Posts
The boots a bit smaller though :p

would love my 170MA giulietta to sound like the Abarth too. I am thinking of a full Ragazzon inc. sports cat + sports filter element but talking big money for that little lot.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I love my QV too much to change to a A500, but it would probably be my 2nd choice.

Spoke to pro Alfa and they said it wouldn't be possible due to the design of the backbox. Would involve removing the spare wheel and changing the boot floor but....
They said the could quite easily design an exhaust system that would sound like an Abarth!
I have my requirements, so we'll see what happens. This is my new year project.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess both? Always loved the sound, but had one park up near me last week and that was it, I decided that's the sound I want. Maybe it had the monza exhaust though?

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Matt,

That's the thing. Some of the sound will be down exhaust. i.e how the exhaust note has been tuned when the exhaust was built and some will be down to engine configuration, induction and mapping.

Now I appreciate that the 500 has the 1.4 t jet and that it runs a similar but different turbo (it appears the USA ones run multi air with GT1446 same as the mito qv) , with a very similar downpipe configuration i.e CAT in the downpipe.

So, where am I going with this..

1. pops and bangs.. This isn't the exhaust (although a free flowing system with CAT's removed will amplify the sound) it's the mapping. The pops and bangs are fuel igniting after the exhaust valve has opened and in the exhaust manifold through the decel regions of the map. (Now when I say regions of map, I'm talking about traditional table ecu's, but the principle is same for torque demand based ecu's). So what is happening is that the engine is running lean through decal and the map is pulling ignition timing out (retarding the ignition timing). However you will still have some fuel vapours left around the injector nozzle, in the chamber and in the squish area. This gives a very lean and a very slow burning mixture, as a result the burn will still be happening when the exhaust valve opens which gives a very high, sudden pressure release into the exhaust. The pressure release gives the pop sound and the combustion reaching, and finishing, in the exhaust is the bang.

Also the noise on idle and load is a product of cam phase and overlap. A combination of static and dynamic ignition timing. The t-jet is twin cam ours is a multi-air the fact that the ecu on the multi air changes this on the fly means you probably ain't gonna get what you want.

So considering that the multiair unit is designed for economy foremost and the performance side comes from being able change the lift on the fly for given toque demand, you should some pops and bangs whatever exhaust you fit, but this is not a guarantee and you prob won't get exactly the same sound.

2. exhaust sound: some of that rasp you get on the 500 is down to the induction. We know the mito airbox isn't up to the job, it also a load of bends and corrugations in the pipe. This is to make it quite.. Change this as well.. superspirnt do a good one I'm looking at.

3. decat downpipe.. get the cat out and you will get some more noise. although the turbo does a good job of taking a lot of noise away.

tbh.. Just a wizard exhaust and downpipe on. It will sound great, prob not quite like a 500, but so what..

Evo6rss..

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Our mito pops a bit even now with oem exhaust

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Matt,

That's the thing. Some of the sound will be down exhaust. i.e how the exhaust note has been tuned when the exhaust was built and some will be down to engine configuration, induction and mapping.

Now I appreciate that the 500 has the 1.4 t jet and that it runs a similar but different turbo (it appears the USA ones run multi air with GT1446 same as the mito qv) , with a very similar downpipe configuration i.e CAT in the downpipe.

So, where am I going with this..

1. pops and bangs.. This isn't the exhaust (although a free flowing system with CAT's removed will amplify the sound) it's the mapping. The pops and bangs are fuel igniting after the exhaust valve has opened and in the exhaust manifold through the decel regions of the map. (Now when I say regions of map, I'm talking about traditional table ecu's, but the principle is same for torque demand based ecu's). So what is happening is that the engine is running lean through decal and the map is pulling ignition timing out (retarding the ignition timing). However you will still have some fuel vapours left around the injector nozzle, in the chamber and in the squish area. This gives a very lean and a very slow burning mixture, as a result the burn will still be happening when the exhaust valve opens which gives a very high, sudden pressure release into the exhaust. The pressure release gives the pop sound and the combustion reaching, and finishing, in the exhaust is the bang.

Also the noise on idle and load is a product of cam phase and overlap. A combination of static and dynamic ignition timing. The t-jet is twin cam ours is a multi-air the fact that the ecu on the multi air changes this on the fly means you probably ain't gonna get what you want.

So considering that the multiair unit is designed for economy foremost and the performance side comes from being able change the lift on the fly for given toque demand, you should some pops and bangs whatever exhaust you fit, but this is not a guarantee and you prob won't get exactly the same sound.

2. exhaust sound: some of that rasp you get on the 500 is down to the induction. We know the mito airbox isn't up to the job, it also a load of bends and corrugations in the pipe. This is to make it quite.. Change this as well.. superspirnt do a good one I'm looking at.

3. decat downpipe.. get the cat out and you will get some more noise. although the turbo does a good job of taking a lot of noise away.

tbh.. Just a wizard exhaust and downpipe on. It will sound great, prob not quite like a 500, but so what..

Evo6rss..

Thanks Evo! Interesting stuff.
Just exploring the options, but nothing back from Pro Alfa yet.
The Wizard sounds good, just worried it's too loud and bleary for my liking, but that's only from listening to them on 147gta's.
I have a K&N induction kit on mine, so my QV has plenty of induction noise! Haha.

·
Registered
210 Posts
See this is where people's perceptions differ. I dropped a k&n panel in mine and don't think it is really much noisier. But of wastgate chatter a very low revs, but that's about it..

I'm looking at this.
Cold air intake pipe<br>Exclusive <a href='http://www.abarthclubitaly.com/forum/aspirazione-diretta-supersprint-t7133.html' target='_blank'>Abarth Club Italy<br>Clicca qui</a>, ALFA ROMEO MiTo 1.4i T MultiAir (170 Hp) 2010 ??

Put a big k&n cone on the end, same size as the gulietta (these are massive, just put one in the wife's at service). Should be little or no restriction. Dyno plots look encouraging as well.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, I've removed the standard air box and fitted the K&N cone on the end. People talk about heat soak, but there's definitely more pull now, especially up in the higher end. Mine recorded 193bhp on a dyno with just the K&N and super fuel! Taken it with a pinch of salt, but some definite gains there.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Matt,

The kit I'm getting relocates the cone filter behind the front bumper to pick up cool air.

TBH the standard intercooler probably isn't up to much. I need to do some data logging to see what the actual inlet temps are after hard acceleration with the standard setup.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Vendor
46,131 Posts
Thanks Evo! Interesting stuff.
Just exploring the options, but nothing back from Pro Alfa yet.
The Wizard sounds good, just worried it's too loud and bleary for my liking, but that's only from listening to them on 147gta's.
I have a K&N induction kit on mine, so my QV has plenty of induction noise! Haha.

The Wizard exhaust isn't particularly loud on the Mito, and at low-medium throttle at mid revs such as motorway driving you get more noise from the frameless windows..

If you want more noise you really need to get the decat pipe, but if you want it to be fairly subtle but nice sounding them modified original cat and 2.5" full Wizard system will get it sounding fantastic and be a top performing exhaust system.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts