Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a parking ticket in my Brera in Merton last August. Ticket machine let me buy a ticket but said nothing about said parking area being restricted after 4pm. At 4.06 we came back to the car to find a ticket marked 4.06 (yet no parking attendant within 300 metres of car from 4.03 to 4.10 :rolleyes: ).

Anyway had to wait til today for my appeal to PATAS (parking appeals tribunal something or other), nice helpful people, independent adjudicators, actually lawyers acting in a judicial capacity, and I won. Council signage confusing - appeal upheld!

That's just saved me £150.

That's 2 victories out of 2 challenged tickets for me (the other one didn't go to appeal, Kensington and Chelsea wisely gave up when I challenged them).

I encourage you all to challenge every parking ticket you feel is unfair. Somtimes they give up, and even if they don't, 60% of appeals to PATAS are successful, and the councils desperately need a smack in the face for their profiteering ways. If people had to wear number plates, they'd be fining us for all sorts.

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks all!

I'm sure they do it on purpose though, because something like less than 1% of people challenge parking fines :(

They're unlikley to change it.

It's not right.

I am quite pleased with myself though. I've never done any court hearing type things - I'm not a litigator, I work for the Discovery Channel/Animal Planet!

·
Super Moderator
60,003 Posts
Cool job :D those are great channels.

It pays to fight these types of tickets but you're right most people don't.

N

·
0 Posts
Sounds like the system works, but
too few people know about the procedure.

Nice result. :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Well done fish :thumbs:

Now as you've won can you do them for assault on your bella when sticking the ticket on :D

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
You are absolutely right mate. i have contested my last 2 tickets and won both times. It really is worth the form filling if you feel you have been treated unfairly.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
I seem to remember a while back the parcel firm TNT and a few others decided to contest every single ticket they were given in London. This was because it was decided that delivery vehicles had no grace period when delivering.

If I remember correctly they were swamped with contested tickets and now the delivery vehicles have the grace period back

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone! I just hope people on the forum will consider contesting any tickets they feel are unfair - it's such a shame to let the councols get away with this revenue raising, until the rules are revised (they are under reveiw at the mo I think).

PS Nice one Mitch!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts