Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NOT with the engine tho!!!

my handling seems to be quite poor of late, and getting worse. i have checked all the suspension and cant find any problems, the tyres are all inflated to 34psi and of almost new condition (less than 1k on em), all aligned...

one thing i havent been able to check yet is the bearings, i was told some time ago that one of my front bearings was not 100%, i was informed 'it may go tomorrow, it may go in 10 years time' lol, not much use eh!

when i say the handling is not as i feel it should be i dont mean slow plodding round town handling, thats spot on, i mean higher speed cornering feels VERY wobbly, track feels wobbly and im sure theres a slight vibration (everything is balanced and aligned).

the LSD has been checked out as has the drive rack, suspension components (upper front LH wishbone is on its way out), ARBs are fine, bushes are all fine, brakes are well uhm, less than ideal but not an issue...

can anyone help me out here?

ps, should a fwd car fitted with traction and a LSD lose traction so easily? i can put my foot down coming out of a roundabout and the car goes sideways!

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
One thing I've thought of is that the viscosity of the fluid in the dampers will change with the temperature. I.E. Cold weather will thicken the fluid and reduce the dampers efficacy.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
GD, i dont think the temperature change would affect the handling to a noticable degree.

makker... i didnt quite understand your post im sorry. yes i had an LSD fitted as an aftermarket job, autodelta supplied, fitted locally.

i never have understood understeer and oversteer... i get confused by these terms! what you must consider makker is my engine is greatly modified and running quite a lot of power so performs very differently to the standard 2.0TS engine.

T

·
0 Posts
Hi Marko,

How about finding someone to borrow a different set of wheels from for a couple of hours, maybe your newish tyres might not be compatible with the set up of your car.

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
marko said:
i never have understood understeer and oversteer... i get confused by these terms!

understeer: when the front wheels slide sideways and you don't feel you are going to make it around the bend ..... normally corrected by reducing power.

oversteer: the rear end slides and tries to steer the car ... usually easy on RWD cars and you have to steer into the slide to correct it.

·
Registered
657 Posts
marko said:
NOT with the engine tho!!!

my handling seems to be quite poor of late, and getting worse. i have checked all the suspension and cant find any problems, the tyres are all inflated to 34psi and of almost new condition (less than 1k on em), all aligned...

one thing i havent been able to check yet is the bearings, i was told some time ago that one of my front bearings was not 100%, i was informed 'it may go tomorrow, it may go in 10 years time' lol, not much use eh!

when i say the handling is not as i feel it should be i dont mean slow plodding round town handling, thats spot on, i mean higher speed cornering feels VERY wobbly, track feels wobbly and im sure theres a slight vibration (everything is balanced and aligned).

the LSD has been checked out as has the drive rack, suspension components (upper front LH wishbone is on its way out), ARBs are fine, bushes are all fine, brakes are well uhm, less than ideal but not an issue...

can anyone help me out here?

ps, should a fwd car fitted with traction and a LSD lose traction so easily? i can put my foot down coming out of a roundabout and the car goes sideways!

I have had a world of handling problems myself lately!

Are you sure the shocks are okay? I was, as was my garage, but one was knackered leading to poor cornering. The springs must be super strong to mask the shock problem.

Also.... check the steering rack for play when moving - does it feel light at any point and normel the other direction?

Finally, check out the rear axle hub bushes. Part itself is a fiver, but a good couple of hours to change the thing!

Good luck....... hope you can resolve it without spending over a grand as I had to!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts