Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just when I start up.

I'm guessing that means I have hydraulic tappets but I'm not sure.

The engine is due an oil and filter change (hopefully tomorrow) so could it be low oil pressure or is it likely to be an adjustment needed?

I've got 63k on the clock, so it's not done a huge amount of miles.

Any advice etc. etc. :thumbs:

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Sound's like it could be variators if it sound's like a diesel on start up for a few second's, my Gtv has started to do the same with 87000mls on it, change them with cambelt and tensioner's.
Unlikely to be low oil pressure but changing the oil may help a bit.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks BF :D I did wonder about that because the belt is due for change next year.

I'll change the oil etc. in the meantime.

Cheers :thumbs:

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know :eek: Been soooo busy. But tomorrow....

OK - as it's the variator I'd better get a cambelt kit ordered up as soon as...

Thanks guys :thumbs:

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK - just talked to hubbie who is sure it's not the variator :lol: Now, I'm stuck in the middle here so be gentle :lol:

Is there any chance it could be tappits? And can they be shimmed?

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
if its the tappets they will likely just be a bit sticky, you could try an engine flush with the oil change (has its own risks) or some wynns hydrolic lifter stuff from halfords (has worked for me in the past)

the best solution though would be to get your mechanic to remove and clean out the tappets when you have the cambelt changed, they work on oil pressure so if the become clogged up with gunk then the will stick and make a noise :thumbs:

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Biffa :eek: Do you think I'm mad :eek: It had a belt change at 36k - it's due the next at 72k but it's going to get done next year anyway.

:lol:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts