Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just parking up and thought I was being careful until I heard the scccrrrrraaap on my left front alloy. GRRRR. They sure look good but I, to this day, have never been able to keep a set scrape free.

Any tips on parking (other than carefully) that you use?

Any experiences getting the scrapes attended to by someone like chipsaway? What does it cost and how do they look after?

Any advice/thoughts appreciated.

Cheers.

·
AO Car Of The Year Winner 2015
3,202 Posts
Try parking in reverse and tilt your mirror so that you can see the rear wheel by the kerb. Some new cars, like Mercedes for example, tilt both mirrors down automatically when you shift in reverse gear. Useful feature.

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
Many tyres have extra thick 'rim protector' rubber just where the tyre meets the rim to give extra protection to alloy rims.

I've not really had too much problem with kirbing the rims, I find that potholes cause more problems.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Many tyres have extra thick 'rim protector' rubber just where the tyre meets the rim to give extra protection to alloy rims.
I always try to buy tryes with this feature.
Sadly the GT's Pirellis don't appear to have it and the alloy sticks out slightly from the sidewall. At least I've only scraped the left rear so far though.:cry:

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
boneman147 said:
Any experiences getting the scrapes attended to by someone like chipsaway? What does it cost and how do they look after?

Any advice/thoughts appreciated.

Cheers.
Autocar recently recommended Spit and Polish and Wicked Wheels on one of their cars, their repair cost £60. Hope that helps. :)

·
Registered
462 Posts
Great tip!

Sadly I fear that my alloys will need a bit of love - certainly my wife's do.
We live in a streen with very high kerbs - almost impossible not to scrape them

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Like gotcha said, I too angle my mirrors down before reversing to parallel park. For the few seconds it takes, it saves a lotta kerbed wheels! Its particularly helpful when parking in dark conditions, if theres not a street light nearby. Without angling the mirrors down, its virtually impossible to see the kerb otherwise.

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
I used to park with millimetric precision but the couple of times out of a hundred you get it wrong just fangs the wheels. Now I give the kerbs a wide margin. There's no prizes for parking a centimetre (0.394") from the kerb, instead of 10.

Ralf S.

N

·
0 Posts
All mine are now screwed.

Very high old curbs, narrow streets
and low profiles mean it's just a fact of life.

Didn't scuff my 147's alloys once in 5 years.

If you can't reverse-in using the wing mirrors,
(and you have to mount the curb) turn the wheel
in so the tread face of the tyre take the whack,
not the sidewall. ;)

Ralf S. said:
There's no prizes for parking a centimetre (0.394") from the kerb, instead of 10.
Apart from a missing wing mirror when you come back.
;)

F

·
0 Posts
Just had all four alloys on my 156 GTA refinished by Wicked Wheels. One was badly kerbed with scuffs all round the rim. They now all look like new, superb job. Cost £55 plus VAT per wheel.

Cheers,

Nigel

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
ferryman im thinking of using wicked wheels to do mine, do they take the tyre off to do the alloy? if so i take it they rebalance them afterwards?

F

·
0 Posts
ferryman im thinking of using wicked wheels to do mine, do they take the tyre off to do the alloy? if so i take it they rebalance them afterwards?
No, they just push it off the rim and then mask the tyre. So they are only refinishing the outside of the wheel, but then that's (most of) all you see. I should've cleaned up the hub of the wheel before they put them back on but will do that another day.

I've been driving around today and didn't notice anything different in the handling but will probably get the tracking rechecked soon. I haven't had it done since I bought the car and I'm sure the previous owner wouldn't have checked it. I'll repeat - the finish is pretty impressive.

Cheers,

Nigel

1 - 14 of 14 Posts