Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After three months of pretty much trouble free motoring I have developed a "clunk" coming from the front drivers side ...........Weird though it seems only to happen randomly on a "smooth" road ....Took the car to a very rough and bumpy stretch round the corner from home and drove about in circles for ages ...."no clunks" back onto smooth road and clunkety clunk ....Weird !!!....Have read the numerous threads on the subject but can't get my head round this one...!!!!:confused:

·
Registered
73 Posts
That is indeed odd. Does it clunk when cornering? Especially tight turns? Is it worse going left or right? When accelerating or braking?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Checked steering this morning on way to work..all ok! I have discovered that it only appears to happen after going down a hill ...????

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
This is probably going to be the most ridiculous suggestion, but there isn't anything in the door pocket is there? I had a 'what is that bl00dy noise' episode, convinced myself some other part of the suspension was on its way out, realised eventually it was a rocking ice-scraper in the door pocket.

There is no sensible reason why any suspension part, worn or not should make a noise when travelling in a straight line on a smooth road.

Beats me

Pub

·
Registered
930 Posts
This is probably going to be the most ridiculous suggestion, but there isn't anything in the door pocket is there? I had a 'what is that bl00dy noise' episode, convinced myself some other part of the suspension was on its way out, realised eventually it was a rocking ice-scraper in the door pocket.

There is no sensible reason why any suspension part, worn or not should make a noise when travelling in a straight line on a smooth road.

Beats me

Pub
Not as ridiculous as you may think..

I thought I had a bush problem in the rear left side of the car.. clucky clunky.. rattle.. clunk.. turned out that my 3 year old left his dummy in the bit you grab to close the rear door from the inside.. (what do you call that?) the rubber mat that's meant to be there is gone.. so it was a light plastic dummy (pacifier) rattling against the hard door panel plastic. Its been p1ssing me off for bloody ages! :mad:

And I almost replaced all the rear bushes because of it.. I only found the stupid thing today :cheese:

Lucky though, If it wasnt for the dummy in the door, I wouldnt have noticed that the rear wheel bearing is on its way out.. :rant:

·
Premium Member
42,865 Posts
Not as ridiculous as you may think..

I thought I had a bush problem in the rear left side of the car.. clucky clunky.. rattle.. clunk.. turned out that my 3 year old left his dummy in the bit you grab to close the rear door from the inside.. (what do you call that?) the rubber mat that's meant to be there is gone.. so it was a light plastic dummy (pacifier) rattling against the hard door panel plastic. Its been p1ssing me off for bloody ages! :mad:

And I almost replaced all the rear bushes because of it.. I only found the stupid thing today :cheese:

Lucky though, If it wasnt for the dummy in the door, I wouldnt have noticed that the rear wheel bearing is on its way out.. :rant:
That made me chuckle :lol: :thumbs:

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Beats me

Pub
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: :rolleyes: Found my Ipod FM transmitter rolling about in the door pocket ...! Thanks Pub ..!!

·
Registered
930 Posts
Good to see I'm not the only numpty on here :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hi, Just saw your post and thought I would share this, when my upper wishbones were failing they were making noise on small road imperfections not big ones. So I would be looking at upper wishbones or possibly rollbar links as my first options. :)

ps, and I had a can of de-icer rolling round and hitting the seat rails on a mazda 323F once, had the car jacked up looking for exhaust or rear bushes. Several weeks later when cleaning the vacuum end hit it and rolled it into said seat runner and, shazam I felt equal levels of happiness and stupidity

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Clunk returned today :( Checked my wheel arch cover and it was loose .....tugged toward me and it appeared to click into place ......went for drive ...no clunk ....lets see what happens tomorrow driving to work !

1 - 10 of 10 Posts