Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK I’ve noticed that WOT has recently turned into a recipe swap and ho-hum to say the least. It’s making the Pathetic Sharks from Viz look like Ned Kelly and a bunch of bush rangers. Let’s bring some real manly stuff in, just to balance things. :lol:

Firstly this will be a LONG post and if you think any of it is a Vic BS story please leave now. It’s all true.

Now and then I leap up and decide while my GF is working overseas, to leave and do my own thing. The latest has been over the last 8 days or so, where I’ve come to the Northern Territory using Darwin as my base. This is well over 3000 kms. flying from Brisbane and it’s the first time I’ve been here. It is an incredible place and there is a good reason why Lonely Planet has it as the top 10 recommended visits on this planet for 2012. :thumbs:

OK back to the contents of this post. There are only two seasons in the NT and that is the ‘wet’ and the ‘dry’. It is currently the wet season and low tourist. It is ‘incredibly’ hot and humid. I’m talking around 110 degrees and more.

This morning way before dawn I hopped into my rented Toyota and headed off towards Litchfield National Park. I got there and was surprised at how empty of people it was. :confused: The first place I stopped at was Florence Falls and I hopped into the waterhole with absolutely nobody around. There are two waterfalls that crash down and I decided to swim over to one. The waterholes are ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE, very deep and clear as crystal and you can see straight down with all these Blue Grunter fish swimming about. The land around here is as prehistoric as you can get. :wow:

Well the waterfalls were a lit bit of a further swim than I judged it to be and when I reached the first one I was a bit knackered. Well then I felt what tons of water smashing on your head feels like. I grabbed the rock face and swam over to the waterfall next to this one. I got to it somehow and I’m holding on to a sheer cliff face with my fingernails and I found the current was pulling my legs down and back into a gap in the cliff face around four feet below the surface. Very scary indeed. :eek: I somehow was able to push off and managed to get way from the undertow and back to the bank. I later found that this ‘gap’ was actually an entrance to a submerged cave and if you got sucked through it, you ended up in a totally dark, enclosed cave behind the cliff face where you could breath but the ONLY way to get out was to dive again and try and push against the current to get out.

Well that was a close one. I moved on to a couple of other incredibly interesting natural marvels and then I came to a parking place where you left for Cascade Falls. A four kilometre trek and they said on a sign to “Make sure you took water” and it was a hard hike and you had to be fit. Well I know I’m fit and I thought 4 kilometres was no big deal and I would have plenty of water when I got there. Stupid me. :rolleyes: These ‘tracks’ are basically on boulders with small arrows in the rocks to show you the direction. I managed to wander off track and the sun was blazing. I knew that it was too late for me to turn around because I started to feel the first signs of heat-stroke. Not a nice feeling I can tell you. Your knees begin to weaken and your thoughts go funny to say the least. I tried my mobile to ring somebody and the phone was completely without a signal. Gulp. I really thought this was it and then I heard the sounds of water. I stumbled down a hill and there were these pools and rapids BUT signs all around in all languages with a big snapping signal warning to KEEP OUT because of crocodiles. :wow: Omigod. At that stage I didn’t care and pulled off all my clothes and jumped in lying face down and glugged water. Absolutely delicious BTW, because it runs over limestone and sandstone that is millions of years old.

Just then of all times, this guy and his GF came through the bush on the other side and he sees me and says to her... “Fuk there’s a dead guy in the water.’ I got up and said I wasn’t dead and was just getting water. He said that if I was crazy enough to swim in croc-infested water, to remember the South Park episode after Steve Irwin died where they said if you get attacked by a croc., ram your thumb up his ars*hole. :lol:

Anyhow to prevent this post becoming a novel they gave me a spare bottle, we had a nice long chat, and I moved on. More later if required.

By my reckoning these were three very serious incidents and I was lucky to escape. All in one day. I didn’t get off scot free however and the Aboriginal Sprits of the Dreamtime decided to teach me a lesson. On the way back I decided to have another swim in the first waterhole. I went barefoot from the car down the stone track. Mama mia. The angle of the Sun changed while I was down there and the only way to come back was to run over red-hot stones and I’ve now got monstrous blisters on the soles of my feet and I have this peculiar gait that the unfortunate Aborigines that sniff petrol around here have. I also managed to cop a leech around four inches long and one inch thick on my thigh BTW. :(

The above is an adrenaline filled rant because this all happened just a few hours ago. It won’t be edited much and I’m still away for a few days and the ‘net here is sketchy to say the least.

Just to add some controversy. Darwin is an amazing city and I never realised how much it was bombed by the Japanese in World War II. It was basically destroyed. Over sixty raids on a town with a pop. of only 25,000 at that time. The first raid was done by the same fleet that bombed Pearl Harbour and they used twice the amount of bombs on Darwin. This apparently was done by the Japanese to divert the Ally’s attention off North Africa and when Australia asked for help, Churchill virtually told Australia to get lost even though Australia was up to the hilt in North Africa. Much more to follow. I’ve had my eyes opened on many things to do with that part of History while I’ve been here. :thumbs:

·
Registered
948 Posts
Tis hot in Darwin, too hot for me and I had to retreat to Broome when I over there.
There are stories that the Japanese had some makeshift airstrips in the NT/WA border area during the war, there is certainly a whole lot of emptiness up there!

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tis hot in Darwin, too hot for me and I had to retreat to Broome when I over there.
There are stories that the Japanese had some makeshift airstrips in the NT/WA border area during the war, there is certainly a whole lot of emptiness up there!
The guy and his GF that I mentioned in the post are from Broome. They are up with the history and told me Broome got bombed as well. Only young.

I'm not sure about Japanese airfields but there are still stacks of USAF airfields from WWII next to the highway. I'm also amazed at how much of the infrastructure of the War is still around including lots of unexploded ordnance, (especially on Aboriginal land). :(

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Theres fighting the grim reaper and there is fighting the grim reaper with Darwinian effort. Think you were doing the second. ;)
Well put and I agree. :eek: Don't worry, I'm getting RL flak already from my loved ones and there will be a lot more coming. I guess I've always been a risk taker and I agree the lack of water was very stupid. To be honest I've run much longer distances in Brisbane, without water, in weather just as hot and lived to tell the tale.

On the other hand I would be lying if I said that it's not a great feeling right now. (Apart from the blistered soles on my feet). :D

Just as an aside I think the drivers in NT are the best I've seen anywhere. There used to be no speed limit and now it's 130kmh. due to a horrific crash by an F40 Ferrari in a "Gumball Rally" type of race. . That was driven by a Japanese dentist and his partner and there is video around, of it getting out of control and running into a cameraman and his assistant. :eek:

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm sure you'll agree, Churchill did the right thing in not being distracted from North Africa.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm sure you'll agree, Churchill did the right thing in not being distracted from North Africa.
In retrospect, from what I gather, it was the best strategic move possible. Didn't help the people at the time.

The Japanese won in the end. This old guy was telling me that they returned in 1964 and took away all the wrecked ships in Darwin Harbour and they were taken back to Japan to be made into Toyotas, Nissans etc. :rolleyes:

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Does anyone have a recipe for crocodile soup?
You're a born diplomat.:cool: Your post includes a food swap theme as per the girlie WOT trends lately, plus you're keeping with the trend of the post. Good work. :thumbs:

They do sell croc. to eat up here and camel, kangaroo and emu etc. I would rather eat a wombat turd on roti bread. :)

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
In keeping with WOT's new angle on recipes and granddads discussing their lovable little grand kids, (that no-one else could give a toss about), I have provided a picture that shows what many would love to do with their cute urchins but apparently are prevented by law. Drats. ;)

=======

Attachments

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Are you absolutely sure that's a leech?
Absolutely. You may be getting it mixed up with the well known reptile 'the one-eyed trouser snake'.

I would prefer the leech than the other any day, but people's tastes do vary. :p

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
4th time lucky for TGR then :D
What's with the acronyms. They aren't clever regardless of what the old fossils on WOT portray. They're boring.

What happened to you anyway. You came on here full of piiss and vinegar and looked like you could be interesting. Instead you ended up joining the WOT sewing circle. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts