Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I took the plunge, seen as it's winter and the roads are not great at the moment...ice....standing water......pot holes.....

Thought I would share that I have recently replaced my H7 candles for a pair of 35W 5000K HIDS and have absolutely no regrets.......except I should have done it ages ago.

Install was very easy, except for finding somewhere decent to mount the ballasts, I'll probably end up making some brackets to bolt them onto.

As for blinding people......I've not been flashed by anyone and set to No.1 they give a nice crisp white light across the road. 5000K gives a nice White color, I was worried about going any higher they would be to blue/purple.

A massive improvement when driving on unlit roads as well.

If anyone else is thinking of it, I highly recommend it.

DC

·
Registered
26 Posts
Great to hear you are happy with your HIDs. Just received my kit and going to fit it next weekend. I went 35w 6000k, didn't want to go any higher for same reason as you (even that you put 5000k, i think 6000k is max for road usage). I only paid £33 for mine. Hope will like it same as you like yours. Pictures of my kit.

Attachments

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep looks like the same kit, just different stickers.......I was going to pay £35ish for a set but then googled the Ebay seller only to find that it cropped up with a website linking it to "Anonymous".........who recently made it clear it was going to target any website with links to BAD people..........so I paid a bit more.......don't mind.

Still very happy with the purchase, no errors, no flashing....just lovely white light.

DC

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
There is a very long thread on this in the stickies, if you are worried about blinding oncoming traffic then read your manual about driving abroad and adjust your headlights acordingly ( they appear as \__ \__ at the moment, you can adjust them to \__ __ or __ __ )

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
26 Posts
can get them on ebay for about £16-18 delivered, had a few sets no problems.
Maybe I'm wrong here, but anything for up to £20 are DC ballast ones... Most people recommend AC ones, that's why I went for the one above. But happy for you that you never had any problems with yours.

·
Registered
434 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
ive never looked at the AC/DC thing , had about 10 sets or more , never had any problems or failures and ive paid £18 for a set and as much as £50 , to the OP , did you get slimline ballasts ? if you did then they will tuck inside then lamp units relatively easily

·
Registered
743 Posts
apparently not , its only the sidelight bulbs that bring up a fault if blown , take my advice and get slimeline ballasts pal , tuck em inside the units , get the factory look ;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Maybe I'm wrong here, but anything for up to £20 are DC ballast ones... Most people recommend AC ones, that's why I went for the one above. But happy for you that you never had any problems with yours.
they say ac

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AC-35W-CA...Vehicles_CarParts_SM&var=&hash=item2a45d56640

but to be honest iv no idea what i bought before, maybe dc for all i know, either way iv had them for a while and no problems.
Wow, that's cheap mate. I just followed most of Alfa owners advices and when looked on eBay just set up price from £25 upward. Never mind, as long as it will work I will be more than happy. Looks like it's going to be busy Saturday - hids, side bulbs, led fog bulbs, glow plugs and proper wash at the end... Hope 24 hours will be enough, lol.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I had these installed when I purchased my car from Voloces £99, I guess I paid more than the average, but it was easy! I had them fitted to my previous 159 and they are so much better than the standard!

XENON KITS

5 Times whiter, brighter light than standard headlamps. Improves clarity & vision, makes night driving safer & less tiring. Gives a prestigious blue look to your headlamps. TUV & E11 approved. Fits all makes and models.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Wow, that's cheap mate. I just followed most of Alfa owners advices and when looked on eBay just set up price from £25 upward. Never mind, as long as it will work I will be more than happy. Looks like it's going to be busy Saturday - hids, side bulbs, led fog bulbs, glow plugs and proper wash at the end... Hope 24 hours will be enough, lol.
they say ac

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AC-35W-CA...Vehicles_CarParts_SM&var=&hash=item2a45d56640

but to be honest iv no idea what i bought before, maybe dc for all i know, either way iv had them for a while and no problems.
I gave your kit another look and realized it has got a standard size (not slim) ballasts, no metal bases for bulbs and no covers for drilled holes. I'm not saying that mines better, probably they are all the same. Just few things on mine that makes it a bit more expensive. But as long as they all work as they should, that's what should makes us happy ;-) Can't wait till Saturday to put mine on.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Do you get any problems passing MOT's?

Legally a lamp is designed for specific light source and but changing the light source changes the homologaiton there for makes the lamp illegal. Any high intensity light sources need washer systems too to reduce glare above the HV point.

I am not hating just asking you guys haven't had any problems with this?

Also has anyone got any images of ballast unit installed in the car? Typically the ballast is mounted under the lamp (as original design content) because they generate heat and can help resolve condition issuses within the lamp.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
was MOT'd last month - fine

I have one ballast attached to a flat bit of metal in the engine bay and the other ballast attached to the engine cover because there is nowhere else to put it. Can't see it melting through that engine cover though.

·
Registered
636 Posts
was MOT'd last month - fine

I have one ballast attached to a flat bit of metal in the engine bay and the other ballast attached to the engine cover because there is nowhere else to put it. Can't see it melting through that engine cover though.
If they got that hot I would be worried lol :cheese:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts