Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to put her back into the garage last week as a worrying noise had developed from the front offside of the engine compartment. The cambelt had been replaced at 34k by an AR main dealer and whilst the mileage is now over 70k, safety first is the order of the day. Off came the auxilliary belt and the noise was still there so I said go ahead with the full works please (including new tensioner, waterpump etc) for £750!

It transpires that one of the cambelt guides had been put on back to front when the belt was last done so it was running properly on one guide but not on the other. The belt itself was ok but the offending guide was staring to look a bit worn. The noise was a combination of the guide rubbing against the engine block and the belt against the cover.

The offending AR garage of course won't comment as the original work was done 3 years ago and they no longer service Alfa's anyway but I suppose the saving grace is that I didn't get a pile of broken valves for Christmas

I just feel a bit miffed that when a main dealer does this type of work, such a simple mistake can be made.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Knowing the consequences of any mistake made during a cambelt service,this really does beggar belief:mad:

I know were all only human,but surely a double check of each part as they are reassembled is not to much to ask:rant:

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
PS id be feeling lucky :p.

Although the garage should coff up for your bill at at least half of it! Grade A stupid mistake and a half.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts