Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At what point did people start confusing the word "get" with "have"?
In a sandwhich shop yesterday, and this girl was saying "can I get a turkey and ham sandwhich - can I get some onion - and can I get some mayo - and can I get some pepper" :rolleyes: - of course she can't get it. That's what the person working behind the counter does. The phrase "may I have" was invented for a reason... :rant:

·
Registered
568 Posts
I was saying the same thing to Mrs Winja just the other night.

Would love to say to them " Yes love, you can get it, tuck in why don't you. Obvously I am not needed here so I'll just sit by the till and get your money off you when you have finished helping yourself.

As they leave I would say " Missing you already" or some such meaningless americanized drivel.

·
Registered
19,792 Posts
Americanisms :mad:

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And the worst are people who have to 'get off of' something :rolleyes:

Stupid people :rolleyes:
Oh yes. Separate rant in preparation.....

Still can't understand wht "y'all" is an appropriate phrase when addressing an individual either :rolleyes:

·
Registered
568 Posts
Oh yes. Separate rant in preparation.....

Still can't understand wht "y'all" is an appropriate phrase when addressing an individual either :rolleyes:
Have you seen the size of an average american lately?

" Y' all" is obviously meant to mean "You, in your entirety". :D

M

·
0 Posts
I have found myself using the word 'guess' quite a lot lately..............."I guess I could................I guess that's right......................I'll see you later I guess". I really must stop it!!!

M

·
0 Posts
I guess so :)
That's a good idea........I guess........................OK, my bad(oh dear, more poxy American sayings)!..................One is most terribly sorry..................that's more like it:lol:

H

·
0 Posts
I can deal with the majority of americanisms. Language evolves. Just as we don't all talk like tally ho, jolly good old boys from the flying club might have done a century ago.

That said, It's chav slang that gets my goat. Kids talking like thickos because they are thickos is one thing, but kids talking like thickos because their idols/peers are thickos?

M

·
0 Posts
I can deal with the majority of americanisms. Language evolves. Just as we don't all talk like tally ho, jolly good old boys from the flying club might have done a century ago.

That said, It's chav slang that gets my goat. Kids talking like thickos because they are thickos is one thing, but kids talking like thickos because their idols/peers are thickos?

Victoria and David anyone:lol:

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
I say old boy, this new fangled lingo is a bit of a rum doo, what?

Perchance the LITERATE chaps will come and put a stop to all this bally nonense poste haste.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I could OF is my pet hate as a teacher - that and "pacific" instead of "specific" These are just complete mispronunciations of words which make me grrrrr!:mad:

On the other hand I don't mind the odd Americanism slipping in as (like stated above) it's natural for language to evolve and be influenced by other cultures- most of us say "sKedule" instead of the proper "shedule" and emphasise the "***" in "harASS" in stead of reading it correctly as "harrus" (if you know what i MEAN) blah blah blah.....:)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts