Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't expect forgiveness, but I have to inform you all that despite my recent good intentions of re-joining the FCA family with the purchase of a new, factory-order Giulietta, I have been tempted by the sometime devil VAG and have signed-up for a new G*lf instead, which arrives early next month.

Hopefully this means I have not actually sold my soul, but I do feel a bit dirty somehow. I fully understand if a mob comes around with pitchforks and torches to chase me out of town, (or at least from this forum...)

·
Registered
5,209 Posts
I don't expect forgiveness, but I have to inform you all that despite my recent good intentions of re-joining the FCA family with the purchase of a new, factory-order Giulietta, I have been tempted by the sometime devil VAG and have signed-up for a new G*lf instead, which arrives early next month.

Hopefully this means I have not actually sold my soul, but I do feel a bit dirty somehow. I fully understand if a mob comes around with pitchforks and torches to chase me out of town, (or at least from this forum...)
You heathen !! :devilish: :)

·
Registered
37,282 Posts
I don't have a problem with VAG cars per se, but I do think some of their brands are overpriced for what you get.

I hope it treats you well.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
I fully understand if a mob comes around with pitchforks and torches to chase me out of town, (or at least from this forum...)
Unfortunately, you omitted to put your town on your profile.

Early this year, after ten years of Ford Mondeo ownershipe and AO forum membership, I chose between a Giulietta and a Focus. Decided early because my preferred Alfa was more readily available than the equivalent-engined Ford. Other makes are available.

·
Registered
13,650 Posts
I sold my last Alfa last year. I have no Alfa and don't see one on the horizon for at least a couple of years. I sold my soul and bought an old CLK a few years ago. It was an NASP petrol auto V6 which meant it was slow and thirsty. However it was a first class commuter despite me averaging a meagre 26 mpg 😁

I decided last year to get something new (I've only ever owned one new car) and bought a new Merc. I did fancy a Giulia but as the car is on PCP the Mercedes was easier to afford. I also have a Z3 which replaced that Alfa Spider I sold last year. I'm properly German now 🥴

·
Registered
37,282 Posts
The Mrs Giulietta is going well, but it isn't getting any younger. I think we will get another year out of it, and then it may have to be sold.
I cannot see any other Alfa's on the horizon for a while after that. I don't really want another Giulietta, never liked the Mito, not keen on the Stelvio. I do quite fancy a Giulia at some stage, but other financial commitments may rule it out for a while because at the moment they cost more than I am prepared to spend on a car.

Currently I am running a 2011 BMW 120d M sport, which is a nice little car, but after that I am likely to buy another sub £5k that has a bit more room. Maybe a 530d, or if diesels are too expensive by then a 528i. I also don't mind the look of the current Seat Leon.

For several years I went through a spell of driving nothing but Fiats and Alfas, but after having a drive in a Ford Puma and later a BMW 528i (E39) I realised that my loyalty had made me miss out on some really good cars from other Marques.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My default opinion about Audi and VW brands at least mirrors that of symon - with Audi's image tarnished by some models seemingly designed for and often driven by less likeable types of people.

In my defence, the Golf I've ordered is an Estate, so has no direct Alfa equivalent in their current UK range and is priced well below what I'd normally expect to pay, even after typical discount. Technically, the current 'Mk 7.5' Golf is a run-out model, but the 'Mk 8 hatch' doesn't hit the UK until about May and as always, the RHD Estates will take longer to arrive.

The engine/trim spec. on offer was ideal for me and I was only 'limited' in body colour choice - so it's black with mostly grey trim for my DD once again.
It certainly ticks more boxes than almost any other close rival, with impressive refinement - the only possible cloud that I might find it a bit boring after a while, which hasn't been an issue in 10 years with the Proton that it replaces.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BURN HIM!

:whistle::D:eek:

Mind you, I currently have a Stilo as a run-around till my '45 is repaired..

Ralf S.
Have to burn this at the same time then :eek: - picked it up this afternoon from a sunny West Kent :)

Maybe not very exciting, but my word, it is very quiet and refined. Hope it treats me as well as my last DD did.

·
Registered
17,124 Posts
I think this is the Golf my dad has, and he’s jolly happy with it.

I wish you many safe travels in your new car (y)

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
You will have to write us a review, Cavyracing. This must include ragging it along a deserted late night A25 from Redhill to Sevenoaks, and reporting on how it likes the undulating bends.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Happy to oblige with the review once I get to know the car a bit, but I can't do the the A25 thing as I live nowhere near.
Hadlow is about as far north as I ever need to go when in Kent, (M25 aside)

However, there is a very scenic and challenging road close by called Bostal from the village of Steyning in West Sussex down to the A27 at Sompting that I use to test cars on. Will be giving that a go as soon as able:D

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
With just under 400 miles on the clock, I gave the alleged 150 HP Golf it's first true workout on above mentioned twisty/undulating South Downs road - in both directions, just to be thorough.

Initial impressions were that my B-road blasting skills are rather rusty - my 20-something self would be laughing at my missed braking points, less than seamless gear changes and lack of commitment. The Golf of course took it all in it's stride, it felt pretty much unfazed, (albeit unexcited) by my efforts, which is what you should expect from one of the ultimate 'allrounders' that's been developed to cope with the widest possible audience. Competent but not very involving - so it's no Alfa or even Italian-like then.
However, within the constraints of being a Golf, my car at least has the advantage of a better balanced, (if heavier) estate body compared to the hatch and has IRS, rather than the cheaper rear beam axle VW still fit to lower-powered Golfs, but don't like admitting to the punters.

Traction, which on the very new 205 wide Michelin Energy tyres had not particularly impressed from a standstill, coped rather well with a bootful of 2nd gear power over a well-tested sharp crest, traction control only flickering briefly and not hindering progress/sense of momentum. I found the brakes a bit too sharp in my attempts at left-foot braking, my old, (automatic) Proton was easier to modulate, having more progressive action - but the VW is certainly better than my wife's 2017 Citroen C3 in this regard though.

The engine doesn't really feel 150 horses worth yet, but that might be the good refinement masking the impression of rapid progress. Doubtless things will improve as it gets properly run-in and I get more used to it,

·
Registered
17,124 Posts
Sounds like you’re happy with it mate - which is ace :)

Out of interest, do you still need to run in car engines these days? Or is that no longer necessary?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Running-in is nowhere near as important as it was many years ago, as everything is engineered/built to finer tolerances and using improved materials, so is all much better prepared for work to start with.
The real star is the lubrication, which in particular has come a very long way since the launch of fully synthetic Mobil 1- a big leap which helped accelerate oil development and helps make engines so reliable and long-lived these days.
All the same, treating a new vehicle gently is still good practice, I think most car handbooks still advocate the avoidance of things like high revs and towing for the first few hundred miles.

·
Registered
17,124 Posts
Good point. I guess with a new car, you’re not just ‘running in’ the engine, but the whole lot; gearbox, clutch, brakes, shocks maybe too.

It’s like a big night out... go easy to begin with :)

·
Registered
300 Posts
No Giulietta Veloce or Veloce Line (if such a thing still exists) to tempt you? I still think the new Veloce 1750 TBi I bought earlier this year was a brilliant buy. No reverse camera, or lane/park/blind spot assist BS (I can park, have no trouble staying within my lane and can set and use my mirrors and am still able to swivel my head) but that engine has so much character. Such a linear pull from almost idle. Just beautifuI. And with the Ragazzon, sounds glorious....Just rubbing it in.

So, was it a diesel?;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts