Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't expect forgiveness, but I have to inform you all that despite my recent good intentions of re-joining the FCA family with the purchase of a new, factory-order Giulietta, I have been tempted by the sometime devil VAG and have signed-up for a new G*lf instead, which arrives early next month.

Hopefully this means I have not actually sold my soul, but I do feel a bit dirty somehow. I fully understand if a mob comes around with pitchforks and torches to chase me out of town, (or at least from this forum...)

·
Registered
5,090 Posts
I don't expect forgiveness, but I have to inform you all that despite my recent good intentions of re-joining the FCA family with the purchase of a new, factory-order Giulietta, I have been tempted by the sometime devil VAG and have signed-up for a new G*lf instead, which arrives early next month.

Hopefully this means I have not actually sold my soul, but I do feel a bit dirty somehow. I fully understand if a mob comes around with pitchforks and torches to chase me out of town, (or at least from this forum...)
You heathen !! :devilish: :)

·
Registered
37,195 Posts
I don't have a problem with VAG cars per se, but I do think some of their brands are overpriced for what you get.

I hope it treats you well.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
I fully understand if a mob comes around with pitchforks and torches to chase me out of town, (or at least from this forum...)
Unfortunately, you omitted to put your town on your profile.

Early this year, after ten years of Ford Mondeo ownershipe and AO forum membership, I chose between a Giulietta and a Focus. Decided early because my preferred Alfa was more readily available than the equivalent-engined Ford. Other makes are available.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
I sold my last Alfa last year. I have no Alfa and don't see one on the horizon for at least a couple of years. I sold my soul and bought an old CLK a few years ago. It was an NASP petrol auto V6 which meant it was slow and thirsty. However it was a first class commuter despite me averaging a meagre 26 mpg 😁

I decided last year to get something new (I've only ever owned one new car) and bought a new Merc. I did fancy a Giulia but as the car is on PCP the Mercedes was easier to afford. I also have a Z3 which replaced that Alfa Spider I sold last year. I'm properly German now 🥴

·
Registered
37,195 Posts
The Mrs Giulietta is going well, but it isn't getting any younger. I think we will get another year out of it, and then it may have to be sold.
I cannot see any other Alfa's on the horizon for a while after that. I don't really want another Giulietta, never liked the Mito, not keen on the Stelvio. I do quite fancy a Giulia at some stage, but other financial commitments may rule it out for a while because at the moment they cost more than I am prepared to spend on a car.

Currently I am running a 2011 BMW 120d M sport, which is a nice little car, but after that I am likely to buy another sub £5k that has a bit more room. Maybe a 530d, or if diesels are too expensive by then a 528i. I also don't mind the look of the current Seat Leon.

For several years I went through a spell of driving nothing but Fiats and Alfas, but after having a drive in a Ford Puma and later a BMW 528i (E39) I realised that my loyalty had made me miss out on some really good cars from other Marques.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My default opinion about Audi and VW brands at least mirrors that of symon - with Audi's image tarnished by some models seemingly designed for and often driven by less likeable types of people.

In my defence, the Golf I've ordered is an Estate, so has no direct Alfa equivalent in their current UK range and is priced well below what I'd normally expect to pay, even after typical discount. Technically, the current 'Mk 7.5' Golf is a run-out model, but the 'Mk 8 hatch' doesn't hit the UK until about May and as always, the RHD Estates will take longer to arrive.

The engine/trim spec. on offer was ideal for me and I was only 'limited' in body colour choice - so it's black with mostly grey trim for my DD once again.
It certainly ticks more boxes than almost any other close rival, with impressive refinement - the only possible cloud that I might find it a bit boring after a while, which hasn't been an issue in 10 years with the Proton that it replaces.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BURN HIM!

:whistle::D:eek:

Mind you, I currently have a Stilo as a run-around till my '45 is repaired..

Ralf S.
Have to burn this at the same time then :eek: - picked it up this afternoon from a sunny West Kent :)

Maybe not very exciting, but my word, it is very quiet and refined. Hope it treats me as well as my last DD did.

·
Registered
17,039 Posts
I think this is the Golf my dad has, and he’s jolly happy with it.

I wish you many safe travels in your new car (y)

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
You will have to write us a review, Cavyracing. This must include ragging it along a deserted late night A25 from Redhill to Sevenoaks, and reporting on how it likes the undulating bends.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Happy to oblige with the review once I get to know the car a bit, but I can't do the the A25 thing as I live nowhere near.
Hadlow is about as far north as I ever need to go when in Kent, (M25 aside)

However, there is a very scenic and challenging road close by called Bostal from the village of Steyning in West Sussex down to the A27 at Sompting that I use to test cars on. Will be giving that a go as soon as able:D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts