Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now, being A Man, i never blub at anything; loss, fear, disappointment, pain; instead, i give them all a Manly, steely stare right in the eye - the sort of unintimidated Manly gaze that Manly SiF or AO's Manly Keiths could easily relate to. In a Manly way, I stare all threats or fears out of the way. Grrr - Manly! :)

But..I must confess. On a rare moment, I drop my Manly guard, and... I blub.

I blub - albeit in a Manly way - at 'DIY SOS - The Big Build'.

After spending a day negotiating with despots*, war-lords**, nutters, and people who probably have a knife hidden in their packed lunch, when I come home to The Big Build...I cry; I don't cry tears, obviously; being A Man, my eyes just leak rods of iron.

So, what makes AO's Manly heros weep a wee bit? The Big Build does it for me. Rods of Manly iron have dripped from my laser-like eyes a few times while watching that, especially when little people are involved.

*ok, 'slight' lie, that
** rumbled. Really big lie

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
With me it can be anything. Last Monday there was a piece on Midlands BBC about a charity feeding the homeless and needy. There was an 18 year old girl who was living on one packet of Asda instant noodles per day because they were 18p and it's all she could afford. :(

·
Premium Member
77,372 Posts
almost anything these days...........................stirring music, movies

just thinking about sad movies........................or happy movies.

·
Premium Member
77,372 Posts
Today my eldest daughter came over for tea, and we watched Field of Dreams together with my younger daughter. The three of us sat on the sofa...........them fiddling with their phones and me heaving and sobbing....

Occasionally they would ask me a question:

"Dad, you know how Shoeless Joe is a ghost and he can't cross the line at the boundary of the baseball field?"

"sniff..........sigh......y....yes?"

"Dad, well, you know that Moonlight Graham died in 1972, so he must be a ghost too, right? Well, how come he can be off the baseball field as young Moonlight Graham and Old Doc Graham, then he is on it as young Moonlight, then when he comes off it he turns into the old Doc Graham? Why, Dad? Why does he have to turn into Old Doc Graham?"

"sob....splutter.....wha? errr.....sniff.....he never........got.............to play in the.....choke.....big league............gasp???"

"Dad, also Dad, Moonlight Graham gets asked to play with the other baseball players when he arrives at the farm with Ray and Terence Mann, right? Well, it's the evening, right? And it's the next day when it all kicks off with the daughter choking on the hot dog and all that, right? So, like, where did Moonlight Graham go on the night? Cos though we know that he must be the young ghost of Doc Graham by then don't we, but nothing is said, right, so................."

.......at this point she feels she is really onto something, leaps to the end of her seat and goes for it........

"...........when the game ends.....where does Moonlight Graham go? Does he go into the cornfield with all the other ghosts? No one says where he goes, but he can't come back into the house otherwise he'd cross the line and turn into Old Doc Graham and that doesn't happen until the following day."

"erm.......gasp......." I mutter something about magic and stagger into the kitchen to dry my beard which is by now wretchedly soaked.

·
Registered
17,658 Posts
G

It's not the same as bursting into tears at the first sign of pain or anything
else you've listed.

It's to do with kindness, compassion and selflessness...

I get the same feelings when I see a lifeboat launched or a mountain rescue team
battling bad weather to help someone.............

It's the fact that somewhere in all of us there is a bit of selflessness.... but I guess
we suppress it because we are taught 'values'. Everything has its price.. doesn't it :confused:

In truth it doesn't.

It's free.

and that's enough to make anyone weep

E

·
0 Posts
Last few chapters of the book gypsy boy had me blubbing. I left it a few months before reading the follow up, and stupidly was reading it on the train. There were a couple of close moments but I managed to remain as manly as possible :lol:

·
Registered
26,529 Posts
Do you think they could come over and sort out my kitchen ?

·
Registered
26,529 Posts
:rant: They've been to worse places...........granted, not many, but.........

1 - 16 of 16 Posts