Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I'd join up, say hello and tell you what I think about your beloved marque.

You may be able to see that my current motor in a Saab 9-3. Lovely car but unfortunately involved in a little shunt the other week. I was very surprised to be given a 159 2.4JTDM with 12k miles on the clock by my insurance company as a loaner. Actually they originally gave me a 1.9 but I sent it back because there was more damage on that than my own car. Anyhoo, Alfa. Nice. Always liked the look of them.

I've had the 159 now for about a week and a half, mostly town driving but also a trip from Sheffield to Gatwick then Birmingham and back to Sheffield. I think I'm in a good position to judge this car. Well unfortunately I have to agree with the nay-sayers. Even taking into account it's a rental and is obviously unloved, the car seems dogged by electrical gremlins, design 'quirks' and build issues. The alarm sets sometimes, the auto wipers are extremely erratic, the auto lights have a mind of their own, the head unit overheats and eats CDs, the internal boot release doesn't work and even if you do get it to unlock you break a nail opening it, the gear knob rattles, the seating position is interesting (more 'on' than 'in'), there's a large piece of plastic trim rattling round in the boot that doesn't really seem to have come from anywhere, you can't see the stalk functions because the steering wheel is in the way, the drivers door handle sticks open. I could go on. Oh and I'm averaging 20mpg round town.

But all that said I'm not here to troll. Why? Because I would buy one of these tomorrow :)

I absolutely love this car. How it looks, how it drives, the feeling you get driving it. Love it! Quirks and all. A friend summed it up. I told him about the faults and also that I wouldn't care if it was my car. He said it obviously had 'soul'. Spot on.

So I might pop in from time to time until the Saab goes back and I can get my hands on an Alfa Romeo. God, even the name... :cool:

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Nice first post :thumbs:
Welcome to AO Rich

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Welcome to AO :thumbs:

If or shall i say when you get an alfa, i will be more than happy to provide and post parts for you :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the welcome :thumbs:

i will be more than happy to provide and post parts for you :)
Ha! Love it! A dealer that admits a car will break. How refreshing. You're on my list. (The list that doesn't have Autoworld Chesterfield on it :rolleyes: )

I'm sure you've all had this conversation a thousand times but let's face it the VWs/Audis etc of this world aren't exactly perfect. I've had MKIV Golfs with so many faults even Alfa owners would feel sorry for me. My A3 Quattro (apart from being as dull as ditchwater) also had one or two of the 'character' traits referred to by K9d. Best car I've ever had was a 2002 Octavia vRS so I should be used to ignoring other people's opinions on what car to get.

TBH I nearly bought a 159 last year but with a new addition to the family I'd got my sensible 'dad' head on and plumped for the Saab. More rear legroom or somesuch nonsense. That and no syncromesh on the demo car. Worried me for some reason. I should have just taken another look at the beauty in Alfa Red they were going to sell me and I'm sure I'd have forgotten all about that.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Welcome to A.O.
The Alfa Owner Car Liberation Front of Great Britain can easily arrange for the Saab to vanish never to be seen again and assist you with any subsequent insurance claim and purchase of your new Alfa.:lol:

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Welcome to A.O.
The Alfa Owner Car Liberation Front of Great Britain can easily arrange for the Saab to vanish never to be seen again and assist you with any subsequent insurance claim and purchase of your new Alfa.:lol:
:cheese: LOVE IT!

can you do the same to my boss?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts