Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Alfaowners..

I've been driving my giu for 8 months, but I am still uncomfortable with the seat and steering wheel position of my car..

When take the seat down I can not see my front properly, when up , I feel like I am at the top of the car..Also the steering wheel cant be positioned enough low..so What is your comfortable position with seat and steering wheel adjustment..I appreciate your advice..

·
Registered
38,262 Posts
I don't like a low driving position so much as having the seat fully up and then the steering wheel back a little.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Are you tall or short? Do you have long legs and a short back or the opposite? These are all going to affect how you get comfortable.

I am 1.75m tall and found a comfortable position fairly quickly with the seat about mid way in height, the back fairly vertical (because that is how I like it) and then got the distance right for my legs to be ccomfortable. Only then did I adjust the wheel both forwards/backwards and up/down until I had a clear view of the instruments as well as my hands/arms being in a comfortable position.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Hi Alfaowners..

I've been driving my giu for 8 months, but I am still uncomfortable with the seat and steering wheel position of my car..

When take the seat down I can not see my front properly, when up , I feel like I am at the top of the car..Also the steering wheel cant be positioned enough low..so What is your comfortable position with seat and steering wheel adjustment..I appreciate your advice..
Assuming you mean the front of the car then the shape of the front of the car does mean there is no clear reference point. Knowing where the front is becomes a matter of judgement. To be honest this is, at least partly, due to the need for pedestrian safety but the only vehicle you are going to be able to SEE where the bonnet ends is in something like a Landrover Defender which are not really in the same styling class.

I am not sure what you mean about the steering wheel can not be positioned low enough. If I drop mine as low as it will go then it is virtually resting on my legs and I cannot operate the pedals without banging a leg on the wheel

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
By saying front I mean it is hard to see the road bacause of the steering wheel and dashboard..Cause the dashboard of giu is high ..On the otherhand the steering wheel adjustment is not like the german cars..german cars like audi volkswagen etc.. have very flexible type steering wheels and you can adjust the steering wheel too low and too high enough for everykind of people who are tall or short..

The design of the seat position should be updated in giulietta I guess..

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Are you tall or short? Do you have long legs and a short back or the opposite? These are all going to affect how you get comfortable.

I am 1.75m tall and found a comfortable position fairly quickly with the seat about mid way in height, the back fairly vertical (because that is how I like it) and then got the distance right for my legs to be ccomfortable. Only then did I adjust the wheel both forwards/backwards and up/down until I had a clear view of the instruments as well as my hands/arms being in a comfortable position.
Likewise, but am 1.8m tall... otherwise the same.

Haven't found a VW where I sat comfortably yet though, but I do avoid getting into a VAG product...

·
Premium Member
5,408 Posts
VAG group seat/steering wheel/pedals relationship varies from poor to very poor. Well known amongst osteopaths - keeps many in a job!!!

·
Registered
213 Posts
I know what you mean OP, I can get comfortable but I would prefer a better driving position.

The pedals are offset the wheel doesn't come close enough to my chest and the seats don't go low enough.

BMW know how to do a decent driving position. The 1 series is spot on.

G

·
I would like the seat to go up just a little bit more, but I like the seat back to also be almost vertically upright. I find it encourages concentration and alertness,you see some people nearly laid out horizontal in their seats! Maybe try altering the seat back as well as the seat height and steering column, and if all else fails try and drive much faster, that seems to put most things right!!:)

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
...you see some people nearly laid out horizontal in their seats!
Hmmm..... now that sounds familiar :lol:

My suggestion to the OP, as he drives an Alfa, is to try the typical Italian style which is to have both legs and arms almost straight.

That still gives you a fair bit of adjustment for seat height and back rake (since you can extend the steering wheel).

The main thing is, if you're uncomfortable then try something different :)

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
When you pull the Wheel towards your chest it also goes up.. I tried several positions today..at last I realized that if you pull it you should also elevate the seat up because you can not pull it horizontally..When you elevate the seat this time your position becomes confusing again..
On the otherhand I sometimes regret to have leather seats, because they are not as confortable as cloth seats..Leather seat is thicker and tougher..

The seats of giulietta are positioned like you are sitting on a chair, thats why I couldnt get used to it..

·
Registered
585 Posts
Hi,

I had the same issue for several months.

Finally I found a comfortable position by lifting the front end of the seat 3 cm, using spacers below the front fasteners.:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wouw..You used spacers, How did you do that? I may try it too..Thats cradle position which is the most comfortable..

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hi,

I had the same issue for several months.

Finally I found a comfortable position by lifting the front end of the seat 3 cm, using spacers below the front fasteners.:thumbs:
I was about to write off this thread as "first world problems" and then saw this post. I reckon you've hit on a really good mod. Once the rain dries off in going to head out the car and investigate.

Did you use the standard bolts or did you source longer ones?

C

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
I Found i had to put the backrest more upright that usual to get comfy. it feels flatter like that and not like an over adjusted lumbar support.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts