Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving down my road on Monday, it was -0.5 and doing 60mph on a 60 road...
There is a sweeping right hander, you could take at 100 an not need to slow down for it! Well also was turning right, so did the car, but as I straightened up to come out of the corner, my back end carried on going around the corner!
Starting to panic now as I've never lost the back end of any car before, and there are a set of bollards 50 yards down the road in the middle of the road...
As I countered the drift, my front end suddenly got grip and flung the back end out into the middle of the road, where the bollards are!
At this point I had accepted I was going to take out the bollards so I turned into them, braced myself and stamped on the brakes! I'm going down the road beer sideways...
Then the magic happened!
I had traction control light flashing, ABS was going nuts! An then, I felt te car sort of straighten itself out!
Luckily it straightened out about 10 yards from the bollards!
I'm assuming I hit a patch of black ice or something!
All I can say, is VDC must do something! I read somewhere that it applies braking force to separate wheels, I don't know if that's true, but it felt like it did the way it pulled me out of a guaranteed spin!

Needless to say, I did 30mph the rest of the way down the hill with my heart pumping...

Best thing is, the 159 came out unscathed... :)

Happy ending...

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=53.076520,-3.017758

·
Registered
841 Posts
Blimey - sounds frightening.

I know the tests of the VDC/ESP/Stability control type of gadgets I saw on 5th Gear a few years back convinced me it was a good thing.

I suppose once all the wheels have speed sensors and the ABS gadgetery is in place, its reasonably simple for the manufacturers to add a few extra sensors (steering angle, lateral load, accelerometer etc) and get the VDC system working.

I hope I never need it but good to know its there.

James

·
Registered
175 Posts
Blimey, my heart's racing just reading your description! It's good to know it sounds like it recovered your situation.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Got a nasty bump in in wifes mito a year ago when someone smacked into the rear of the alfa and pushed it accross the higway (in pouring rain) but once the the speed dropped down to about 80km/h the VDC VSC kicked and straightened the car out and left me scared, but unscathed and pointing in the right direction! I have little to no driving skill, so I'm a big fan of modern electronics.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
It helped me out big time one dark night on the M40 when I was face with a van who'd chucked it in the central reservation:eek:

I was in my 159Ti and it just did it:wow:

Makes you realise why these cars topped all premium rivals in the Elk stability test (there's a vid somewhere).

Being an Alfa system, it's very laid back yet is there when you need it.

Others systems are too intrusive & you can't turn them off, unlike you can on an Alfa:cool:

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Blimey, my heart's racing just reading your description! It's good to know it sounds like it recovered your situation.

Cheers.
Well my heart nearly stopped when I'd realized I was going to hit the bollards... Sort of held my breath waiting for the almighty bang an possibility of rolling the car from hitting a concrete island at near 50-60mph...

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=53.123723,-3.033506

·
Registered
7 Posts
Great that it works in an emergency, however, I was expecting it to be needed when accelerating hard. I have found that my brera 3.2 4wd has so much grip plus its heavy meaning i cant get the wheels to spin with vdc off. therefore it will never be needed in the dry.

it this because my car is not producing the amount of power it should?? Or maybe the vdc is only a safety measure for wet / ice?

my expectation is that i would see the light flashing away when i try to burn people off at the lights!!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Great that it works in an emergency, however, I was expecting it to be needed when accelerating hard. I have found that my brera 3.2 4wd has so much grip plus its heavy meaning i cant get the wheels to spin with vdc off. therefore it will never be needed in the dry.

it this because my car is not producing the amount of power it should?? Or maybe the vdc is only a safety measure for wet / ice?

my expectation is that i would see the light flashing away when i try to burn people off at the lights!!
You would have to be absolutely brutal with the clutch to spin all 4 wheels off the line.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts