Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Much to my pleasure I have fixed both of my broken red keys :)

Both keys had knackered rubbers so that was easy to replace, however both had suffered the dreaded microswitch failure where the switch physically disintegrates!

I have sourced correct replacement switches, removed the old ones and re-soldered on new switches. A touch of superglue on a small crack or two and I know have two totally refurbished keys that work perfectly and most importantly at a HUGE saving in cost :D :D :D.

I am so chuffed :)

If you want me to refurbish a red key for you, just drop me a PM.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
That's great, I'm thinking how to repair one of our 147 keys (not red) as the boot release button is donald-ducked. I can't imagine how you found the rubbers for the red ones, I wince when I see my wife using her finger nails to work them. Why do girls do that?
Where is San? Not sanitorium is it??

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah the rubbers are easy to find. Alfa sell them and you can get them off flea-bay too.

The repair on the 147 (black) key isn't so bad but you need to be nifty with the soldering iron. The switches cost about 50p but with a minimum order of £20 from the suppliers it`s a pain. Mind you, the suppliers also sell batteries so I guess you could buy new ones for every hand-held tool in the house to make up the order.

PM me if you need a hand.

BTW, San is short for my mate with the alias Sanitary. he doesn`t come on AO all that often as he is a 155'er and spends most of his life on 155org

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Thanks for info. Battery in cordless drill now fluked so there's one straight off.
And sorry I asked about San now, the mind boggles.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I`m thinking of offering my fixing services on flea-bay so let me know if you need a hand and I`ll give you a hefty first customer discount :D

·
Registered
681 Posts
Hi Chris.
Yay! a key fixer!!!!!
No broken keys at present with cars in stock, however I have known a few that have broken in the past... will certainly be in touch and will look out for you on 'flea-bay' in the future! good luck and good work!
cheers

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
How much were the replacement rubbers from Alfa Chris?

Mine have been 'fingernailed' as well.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Chris.
Yay! a key fixer!!!!!
No broken keys at present with cars in stock, however I have known a few that have broken in the past... will certainly be in touch and will look out for you on 'flea-bay' in the future! good luck and good work!
cheers
I'm not sure that there is going to be a demand via ebay. I'm still deciding whether to bother or not.

I might just do it for anyone on AO who asks and leave it at that.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK, your views would be helpful on the following. I'm not putting any more info here as I'm not trying to advertise via AO now it's going to go onto ebay but I would like advice on whether this pricing and arrangement seems reasonable. I mean, would you pay this if your key was broken? It's cheaper than Alfa but it has to be worth my while too.

Yes you can probably do some of it cheaper yourself but are you handy? Do you have the time? Do you know where to get all of the bits from?

Any comments very welcome before I launch my new venture. Dragons Den here I come :rolleyes:

I was thinking along the lines of you send me the key and it goes like this:

£6 initial fee for inspection,disassembly and check over. This fee includes return postage, recorded delivery.

If it can be repaired and you already know the service you want then you can choose from the following list at £10 each per option:

* microswitch removal and replace
* damaged or cracked pcb repair
* new battery and fitment
* new rubber button and fitment

Complete internal cleaning and casing repairs are included if you buy any option.

If you don`t know what you need I will email you a report and a quote based on the findings of the inspection.

If the key cannot be repaired or you don`t want to take up the quote then I will return the key (or bin it if you prefer).

As a guide, and to save your money, you should be able to tell if the rubber button is still usable yourself. Also, the battery will tend to last for a long time and you should have an idea if that needs to be replaced or not.

Payment in advance of work via Paypal please!
<xxx paypal account here xxx>

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Anyone? Could really do with feedback before I spend money advertising on ebay :)

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I would say that these are fair value at £10

*microswitch removal and replace
* damaged or cracked pcb repair

However the following can be done by any monkey and £10 seems a bit dear to me (but I suppose there is the convenience factor

* new battery and fitment
* new rubber button and fitment

Also, is the £6 fee still charged if work is carried out? (Point worth clarifying).

I think its a great service 2bh :)

·
Registered
752 Posts
Hi Chris,

I just bought my Alfa yesterday and they gave me 2 red keys, one works fine and the other works intermitently, I'd like to have them both inspected, serviced. I could send the broken one first. I think there may be damage to the plastic housing, could you replace this too??

Many thanks,

Karn

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
665 Posts
I was thinking of doing similar once for the black keys but I was worried that if the key gets damaged and stops working altogether then would I end up regretting it. Or what if somebody claims (wrongly) that I broke their key.

There wouldn't be enough demand to make it really wothwhile so I decided not to.

But good luck and I'm sure you will save some people a lot of money.

I would have put the microswitch replacement price up as the cost of a new fob is pretty expensive.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts