Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I HAVE actually found something that worries me on my car.

At idle, the vibration from the engine is horrid, my teeth actually chatter. I dont recall it being like this before, maybe it was and I now notice it more. Its like its idling too low or something, sitting at 750, not quite as bad as only firing on 3 but its quite annoying. A modern diesel should not judder like that? I jumped into my mates passat and you simply cant feel the engine running, it purrrrrs, my car 'shakes'. Is it ill guys?

Also has anyone else accidently pressed the start button too early and experienced that awfull thing where ir does seem to fire on 3? or is my car ill?:mad:

A

·
0 Posts
Yep, I'd say it is ill sadly:(. Mine idles beautifully and is very smooth. The only jarring I get is an incy wincy bit through the steering wheel.

·
Registered
378 Posts
The idle on my 159 is a little agricultural compared to some German diesels, but nothing like yours.

And the answer to your other question - yes, just once. It seemed to be running on 2 cyls or may be one. No problems since.

Pete

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
Also has anyone else accidently pressed the start button too early and experienced that awfull thing where ir does seem to fire on 3? or is my car ill?:mad:
Yeah, once or twice!

The otherwise rough idle isnt right though and you should have it looked at.

·
Registered
15,176 Posts
Yep - I echo tha above - get it looked at ASAP :(

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Guys, got it booked in for a check, service manager didnt seem too concerned and therefore I have to wait 10 days so I have to trust him on that one.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update if your interested.

bad news: The dealer cant find what is causing the 'lumpy' idle. The car needs to go back for a longer stay so the technicians can look deeper. The engine mounts and ECU progs etc have all been checked and everything is fine. ????? The mystery continues.

Good news: The dealer has been very good so far, Meridien Milano in Dorset. They agree there is something not quite right which is helpfull and are honest to say they are stumped. They also mentioned it was rather 'noisy' too?? I dont mind if people take time to figure things out as long as they are honest about it and by that I cant fault the dealer. I was half expecting a 'its fine and normal, must be you mate' which luckily I didnt get. Im a tough customer to please as I manage a busy industrial service business so I know 'all the excuses'.

I also got to borrow a 147 JTDM 'sport' for the day which to be fair was great fun to drive, certainly quick and nimble but......that little car is averging 41 to the gallon..ouch for a little car. My old seat leon 150BHP TDI gave me 52 on average. Must be them Alfa engines?

Will keep yall posted. Incidently, anyone care to take a guess at what the prob may be?

·
Registered
847 Posts
Update if your interested.

bad news: The dealer cant find what is causing the 'lumpy' idle. The car needs to go back for a longer stay so the technicians can look deeper. The engine mounts and ECU progs etc have all been checked and everything is fine. ????? The mystery continues.

Good news: The dealer has been very good so far, Meridien Milano in Dorset. They agree there is something not quite right which is helpfull and are honest to say they are stumped. They also mentioned it was rather 'noisy' too?? I dont mind if people take time to figure things out as long as they are honest about it and by that I cant fault the dealer. I was half expecting a 'its fine and normal, must be you mate' which luckily I didnt get. Im a tough customer to please as I manage a busy industrial service business so I know 'all the excuses'.

I also got to borrow a 147 JTDM 'sport' for the day which to be fair was great fun to drive, certainly quick and nimble but......that little car is averging 41 to the gallon..ouch for a little car. My old seat leon 150BHP TDI gave me 52 on average. Must be them Alfa engines?

Will keep yall posted. Incidently, anyone care to take a guess at what the prob may be?
Is there any chance that the problem only reared its head in the warm weather, or when sitting in traffic? My first 159 (although it was a 2.4JTD) used to fire on only 3 cylinders in warm conditions- so obviously it was an intermittent problem. The problem was eventually traced to a faulty lead on the injector. My dealer replaced the injector loom and this sorted the problem.:thumbs:

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi and thanks, i guess it is possible. I wouldnt say it was only in warm weather but it does get worse when the engine is very warm after a long drive. I first noticed it after I drove from Somerset to london where I joined a good old traffic jam on the A1 and it was really bad then. It varies, sometimes its mild, other times a lot worse. I would expect things to be much worse if i was firing on jst 3 though, this is quite a mild vibration but constant. Had the same engine in the 147 today and at idle I feel no feedback from the engine at all so it isnt normal for sure.

I got so used to it I cant recall if it has aways been there to be honest, but I feel I would have noticed it if it was.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have the same problem with a rough idle. Thought it was normal for Alfa diesels.

After doing some searches found a message saying that a 159 idles at around 1000 rpm, mine is only 750rpm. Can anyone let me know what rpm 159 Jtdm should idle when warm?

Martin I am v. interested in knowing what happens at your dealer. Please post :)

·
Registered
879 Posts
I think the idles speed for the 2.4 is supposed to be 750 - 800 rpm. That's what it was on my 156, that's what it is on the 159 loaner I've got. It doesn't feel lumpy at all, and there are certainly no vibrations.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I reckon Alfa have a bit of a problem with their diesels. Mine (a 159 2.4JTD) is pretty noisy too. I also have some problems with uneven idle speeds and coughing of the engine under load (going uphills) which I posted a few hours back. A mate of mine has a Toyota Landcruiser diesel but when you listen to the two side by side his sounds like a petrol engine compared to mine! So far I've had no real help from the Alfa service people in Melbourne..

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update. They need to order some gaskets????
Not sure why yet but this was instructed by Technical dept.
Thats her in then to the end of the week at least.
The 147 courtesy wreck is ok though, well, would be better if the brakes worked:eek: Its a sport version abut still doesnt handle as well as the 159 ESTATE! haha

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not fixed! They changed the injectors and the EGR gaskets, no difference, they admit they have no clue. :rant: Apparently the car checks out excellently in all areas but this mystery vibration persists. Its quite tempting to 'live with it' but my worry is this affecting the sale when i eventually change the car. I mean would you buy it like that?

The next step I am told is for Alfa technical to come to the dealer and have a go themselves. I will be taking them up on the offer but all this to-ing and fro-ing is becoming a pain now and it costs me time out of work to make the trips.

Whats the thoughts on the longer term guys? if they cant fix it, reject the car?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I wish.....

Some long term options I am considering if the fault canot be sorted.

Trade back in with dealer for a 1.9 Ti, then they can sort the issue in thier own time.
Ask for a replacement engine.
Take a refund and walk away

1 - 20 of 78 Posts