Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I collected an Alfa GT JTDm from Mangos in Knutsford last night and am now officially an Alfa owner for the very first time in my life!

The spec:-
06 GT JTDm
Nuvola Blue pearlescent
Black Leather
Winter Pack
18" Wheels
Xenon headlights

Only disappointments with the car are that there are a quite a lot of stone chips on the bonnet and front bumper, a small scratch on one door and the parking sensors which Mangos retro fitted are nothing like the colour of the car. The last point I have noted down on the handiver sheet for requriing further attention. Oh and that the car pulls to the left. Will be dropping it back at the dealers to remedy this point too.

General thoughts on the car:-

+Positives
Good looking car
Comfy if rather figure hugging seats
Very good looking car
Great chunky steering wheel is very satisfying to use
Damn that is a good looking car
Better fuel economy than my outgoing Golf V5 (25 mpg anyone?!)

-Negatives
Aesthetically the car rides too high on its wheels
Doesn't exactly feel light on its toes on the twisties
Feels like a big heavy car
Feels underpowered
Manufacturers fuel consumption figures hugely unrealistic (same old same old!)
Mediocre sound system

Overall I am pleased with the car though and am looking forward to getting to know it. As someone who changes their car every few months, I actually intend to keep this one for a while. Once Mangos have sorted out the niggles I will be looking to have a sensible remap or tuning box installed and maybe an uprated sound system.

Have you veterans got any pearls of wisdom for an Alfa virgin on things to look out for or be aware of?

Nice to be a member of such a friendly forum by the way! :thumbs:

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Sounds similar to when I bought my first Diesel alfa ... (coming from a sports pack TS) ... must admit I haven't heard of GT drivers complaining about the drive before, but as it's based on the 156 chassis I presume that getting a set of Koni FSDs and Eibach Springs, also +1 to the remap, you should be able to get close to 200bhp without modifications ...

·
Registered
98 Posts
I saw that GT in Mangos when we went to drive a Brera and 159. It certainly caught my eye. The parking sensors on our red GT were a slightly different colour. Getting an exact colour match will be difficult on that paint job! I didn't look that close at your car on the forecourt.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I saw that GT in Mangos when we went to drive a Brera and 159. It certainly caught my eye. The parking sensors on our red GT were a slightly different colour. Getting an exact colour match will be difficult on that paint job! I didn't look that close at your car on the forecourt.
Yeah I thought twice about having the parking sensors fitted due to the difficulty of getting a decent match.

I was worried about pranging the car when reversing for precisely the same reasons though - any repair work would be a nightmare, hence I thought it best to have them fitted!

I am willing to be realistic but at present the colour of the parking sensors is darker than even the darkest colour of the pearlescent. Surely they can do better.

Buying the car in this colour was definitely an impulse thing - i wanted black or grey but the salesman threw this one in as a wild card and I liked it, plus the spec was fantastic! Remembered seeing an Alfa in this colour years ago and loving it.

Will be sure to get some pics up soon!

BTW did you buy anything or was it just a test drive?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds similar to when I bought my first Diesel alfa ... (coming from a sports pack TS) ... must admit I haven't heard of GT drivers complaining about the drive before, but as it's based on the 156 chassis I presume that getting a set of Koni FSDs and Eibach Springs, also +1 to the remap, you should be able to get close to 200bhp without modifications ...
Thanks buddy, I think the tuning box route might be best for me. Don't want to wind it up too high as I would rather not gobble through clutches!

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Thanks buddy, I think the tuning box route might be best for me. Don't want to wind it up too high as I would rather not gobble through clutches!
200 bhp should be no problem for your car ... (although really its the torque) ... My map gives me 355 ftlb of torque ... that was 20k ago and my original clutch (now on 122k :wow:) is still fine ... well as good as it ever was anyway :lol: ...

... obviously with a remap you can get as much or as little power as you want (you can also get the EGR switched off too :thumbs:)

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
make sure there is history of belt changes and i believe the waterpump needs doing at the same time
stunning cars want one myself

·
Registered
610 Posts
would agree with the remap the GT does feel a tad underpowered. Ive had mine lowered and it looks way better i wouldnt of said the a heavy handling car tho, that may point to dodgy alignment ?

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
would agree with the remap the GT does feel a tad underpowered. Ive had mine lowered and it looks way better i wouldnt of said the a heavy handling car tho, that may point to dodgy alignment ?
My remap has certainly brought the engine to life, it's very nice now, lots of torque.

However, it is a heavy handling car and not at all nimble, my Mrs SRI, TDI and Stilo were all much more agile than the GT.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
welcome to the club!

i changed the standard headunit, which is thoroughly pants, to an alpine one. sounds much better despite the standard speakers being pants too!

bit of a bugger to fit for a complete novice ...but with help from here, we got there in the end :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

You could be right - it does pull hard to the left under heavy acceleration or braking. The dealer have prpmised to sort this soon though if it persists.

How much did you lower it by mate? What springs did you use? Has the ride become a lot stiffer?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My remap has certainly brought the engine to life, it's very nice now, lots of torque.

However, it is a heavy handling car and not at all nimble, my Mrs SRI, TDI and Stilo were all much more agile than the GT.
Yeah I agree - I got my mum into an Astra Sporthatch 1.9CDTi 150 SRi and that feels more nimble and quicker than my heavy GT...

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
welcome to the club!

i changed the standard headunit, which is thoroughly pants, to an alpine one. sounds much better despite the standard speakers being pants too!

bit of a bugger to fit for a complete novice ...but with help from here, we got there in the end :thumbs:
Thanks buddy.

Yeah I was spoiled with my VW Golf - it had a six cd changer integrated into the dash and the soundsytem is the clearest and best quality I have ever experienced.

The GTs stereo looks and sounds like a piece of cheap plasticy crap by comparison!

Think getting a bit more power through the wheels is first ppriority and once that is done will look at sorting out a CD stacker and speakers.

Did you manage to find a head unit to match the silver of the central column?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
JJ-as-you-bought-from-mangos-i-presume-your-from-the-NW'st-ish,-if-you're-after-a-remap-contact-Gus-(alfa-tuner-on-here)-tell-him-what-you-want-and-he'll-do-you-a-custom-map-to-suit.-Give-him-bell,-you-won't-regret-it-:thumbs:

Link-for-alfatune...http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/members/alfa+tuner.html

PS-excuse-the------spacebar's-fooked-:rolleyes:

Thanks-mate-I'll-take-a-look! :thumbs:

Still think the box is the route I want to take so it can be removed if needs be...;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts