Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I can't stretch to the money they go for:eek::rolleyes:

but - I do have 4K to spend, now can anyone recommend a good classic that
might come within that budget using classic insurance

I would really like your expertise:)

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
You can't run a classic -- any classic -- on a budget.

Buying (and even insuring) the car is the smallest cost you'll have with it. They require constant attention and up-keep and work. If you're not a hands-on, do-it-yourself type, that means paying large mechanics' bills. Even if you can do all the work yourself, these things require hard-to-find (read expensive) parts. They require lots of time off the road while worn-down equipment gets rebuilt.

Honestly, if you're already going into a purchase thinking money is an issue, just don't do it. Money will continue to be an issue.
--Toronto

·
Administrator
23,075 Posts

Buying (and even insuring) the car is the smallest cost you'll have with it. They require constant attention and up-keep and work. If you're not a hands-on, do-it-yourself type, that means paying large mechanics' bills. Even if you can do all the work yourself, these things require hard-to-find (read expensive) parts. They require lots of time off the road while worn-down equipment gets rebuilt.

Honestly, if you're already going into a purchase thinking money is an issue, just don't do it. Money will continue to be an issue.
--Toronto
Words of wisdom Toronto, words of wisdom.

(Not to mention experience by the sound of it).

·
Registered
20,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

--Toronto
Fair enough ... but let's say for instance I was hands on ... what would you
pay 4k for?

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Again that's one of those questions that has no real answer.

Are you going to spend 4K on a non-running car in bits and pieces and then restore and rebuild it yourself?

Are you going to spend 4K on a needs-work but running (for now) slightly newer classic?

Are you going to spend 4K on a pristine, concours ready, all-work-done, finished product?

Your answer defines (at least in part) your choices.
--Toronto

·
Registered
20,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Again that's one of those questions that has no real answer.

Are you going to spend 4K on a non-running car in bits and pieces and then restore and rebuild it yourself?

Are you going to spend 4K on a needs-work but running (for now) slightly newer classic?

Are you going to spend 4K on a pristine, concours ready, all-work-done, finished product?

Your answer defines (at least in part) your choices.
--Toronto
I like you Tor, you explain things to me that I nearly/did made mistakes over past years

and, whether you know it or not, I've saved money using your advice:thumbs::cool:
I will be careful ... more careful than you know ... but I will find the
car for me:)

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Glad I've been of help. :)

I'm really not the person to be telling you what to buy because I'm not part of your market. Now if we were talking the Canadian market, I could give you a better idea (off the top of my head) of what goes for what, but you'll have to rely on fellow Brits for that type of advice.
--Toronto

·
Registered
20,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Glad I've been of help. :)

I'm really not the person to be telling you what to buy because I'm not part of your market. Now if we were talking the Canadian market, I could give you a better idea (off the top of my head) of what goes for what, but you'll have to rely on fellow Brits for that type of advice.
--Toronto
Understood:thumbs:

K

·
0 Posts
There lots of classics you could run for buttons but it all depends what you want. e.g. if you can find a Beetle that isn't rusty or knackered all it will need is regular rust proofing and a bit of servicing using mostly cheap bits. The same logic can be applied to things like Volvo Amazons and the like. Simple cars don't attract big bills as long as they aren't rotten.

Performance cars will need a lot more upkeep, partly because they are more complex and partly because you are more likely to drive it had. An Alfa spider for £4k wil never be a good choice because you're are the arse end of the market where cars will vary from rough but honest to tarted up dogs. That old 6-series had potential to absorb lots of cash too.

Ultimately, it depends what you want. £4k would get you a decent Mini. It would need lots of bits but those bis are dirt cheap and easy to obtain. It would also get you a good 2.8 injection Capri. Neither of those will be expensive to run as long as they aren't rusty. You could probably get an Integrale for that money but it would need work and rust would be the least of your worries.

I think we need more of an idea of what floats your boat.

·
Registered
20,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
12,405 Posts
I think different people have their heads turned by different cars, and they get our attention for different reasons.

I bought Classics Monthly this month. I like the idea of running a classic more than the actual owning of them. It has a feature at the back about Triumphs you can buy for £3K, they featured a Spitfire 1500 and the weak bottom ends, one of mine went with big end failure and thought it may have been oil starvation but perhaps it was on borrowed time the dealer was giving it 'Come back on Saturday when my Machanic is here'. The car didn't get home and I had it recovered back to the dealer's premises, they were also trying to express my cheque through too.

I was saddened to see advertised for sale one of the run out Minis with the airbags pointing towards the ceiling and the radiator across the front of the front of the engine with rotted out bodywork. I guess it could have been a rescued flood victim.

·
Registered
20,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Why don't you look for another 155 Quinn? You know the cars and they are close to achieving classic status and will be able to be insured on a classic policy. I doubt they'd cost as much to run as a 'traditional' classic, either...
Of course I'd love to find another that looks like this

... but I don't think I will

to find another cheap 155 isn't that hard, but to make it look this good
will take too much cash, to lower the suspension at the
right proportion and then to add a set of Kahns and then to
get it sprayed in that colour ... possible

this was always the one I wanted and had for about 3 years

but I have to move on:)

·
Registered
20,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This must be pretty close, though...

IMO, you don't lower or put aftermarket alloys on a classic. It should stay as original as possible (from the outside at least).
Nice ebay car ... but I do have to disagree about making the car look better

I think I did quite a good job, the 155 is rare to see, but a good one with thought
on it and without a spoiler sits nice, I think my wheels look better ... thank you by the way
(and notice there were no abbreviations):thumbs:

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
No Big Beemer on the cards then Q? :confused:

Four grand to spend? New condensing boiler and aluminium rads and so on for the bad winter that's forecast? Look after your health and comfort first mate.:):

·
Registered
20,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No Big Beemer on the cards then Q? :confused:

Four grand to spend? New condensing boiler and aluminium rads and so on for the bad winter that's forecast? Look after your health and comfort first mate.:):
I was gazumped with the Beamer :(

But,as far as the winter is concerned

I've got that sorted in a way:thumbs:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts