Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
34,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got another email reminding me to renew.
However , I’m unlikely to get one from “2020 TV Licesing”
How many crooks are sending out phishing emails to take advantage of addled lockup brains?
I’m sure there are others...

·
AO Detailing COTY Winner 2018
511 Posts
My 16 year old daughter (who lives at home with us) got a TV Licensing email yesterday. We have taught her to assume that all email from people you don't know might be a scam.

She gave the TV Licensing email the priority that it deserved...

·
Registered
14,893 Posts
I get those. It's amazing how many different spellings of licence there are.

·
AO Detailing COTY Winner 2018
511 Posts
I get those. It's amazing how many different spellings of licence there are.
In British English, 'licence' is the noun (e.g. "Your driving licence...") and 'license" is the verb (e.g. "...licensed to kill"). Our American cousins use 'license' for both and the linguistically challenged use the two words interchangeably.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I've had a couple of TV licence spams, but I get about a dozen investment invitations a day. They are farcical. Here's an example that just arrived:

"Elon Musk recently appeared in a television show and briefed his untold economic secret by using which common people can become rich and have a good stable income. Invest around € 250 and get a good value in return, you can earn a stable income without too much effort, pressure stress. It's easier than you think! Don't waste this once in a lifetime opportunity, you can easily become a millionaire with this huge profit.

Here is a step by step instruction that will make you understand better on how to get a stable income with this offer.

1.Register using the telephone number and email-id

2. Soon you will get a call from us

3. Invest and start earning"

There's usually a "celebrity" involved, though some purport to come from the BBC or a newspaper. The "once in a lifetime opportunity" has been coming for weeks!

·
Registered
14,893 Posts
In British English, 'licence' is the noun (e.g. "Your driving licence...") and 'license" is the verb (e.g. "...licensed to kill"). Our American cousins use 'license' for both and the linguistically challenged use the two words interchangeably.
Telly licence spammers also use lisense, lisence, licnse.....

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
I've had an email claiming that there had been a problem with payment for our TV licence. So how do you pay for something that's "free"?

I've also had a similar one claiming that my TalkTalk payment had failed. I know a lot of companies outsource their customer service operations, but I don't think TalkTalk would email me from a kocaeli.edu.tr address!

I have a three-pronged strategy for dealing with these emails:

From the preview in Mailwasher I forward the email to the appropriate company's fraud department.

Against what the experts advise I click on to the link in the email. The reason for this is so that, if it doesn't come up with a warning, I flag it up to possibly prevent others from being scammed. In Firefox this is done by clicking on "Help", "Report Deceptive Site". "Tools" "Page Info" "Security" then allows me to remove any cookies or site data the website may have placed on the computer.

Having done that, I bounce the email - one of Mailwasher's nice little touches.

By using Mailwasher I can do all this without actually downloading the emails, which in most cases are already flagged as spam & marked for delete. This means that there's no danger of downloading dodgy attachments & the URLs of any links can be seen & their ownership checked with Whois.

·
Registered
34,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That’s no fun. You don’t get the entertainment of reading these masterpieces of literacy!

·
Administrator
45,646 Posts
I've heard it said that they are deliberately grammatically bad. This is because people who notice the mistakes are people less likely to be taken in by the scam anyway. They don't want people who spot issues, that would waste their own time.

·
Administrator
45,646 Posts
Having said that, I'm not sure it's true.

What I think is the case is that the scammers use (largely) Indian call centre staff. And the people with the best intelligence* and the best language skills get the best jobs, which are at the reputable call centres.
So the ones with the worst skills are at the illegal back street call centres who run these scams.

*I use the term with a large dose of hypocrisy, since I myself have no language skills at all outside of English (and many would say limited within too).

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,880 Posts
When it comes to bad spelling, do you think I should ignore the email telling me I must renew the licence for my VT?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts