Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bad, bad, bad day.
Stupidly drove through flood water. Hydrolocked engine on my cherished, perfect, just belt serviced and Q2 fitted Ph2 GTV6 . Local mechanic got the plugs out - 2 cylinders full of water with the pistons seized, one with a rattle. He thinks one con rod bent and the other broken, possible with a scored bore - god knows what other awfulness is happening in that so recently purring Busso. Water in the oil, MAF dripping, cylinders already rusting. Bad, bad day.
B****r.
It's got to be sorted (I love the car). So I'm wondering whether to go for a recon engine swap, or a repair to the one I have. It has done 80k, and was running absolutely perfectly. Opinions from those of you that know, or have had similar experiences, would be really appreciated. I'm already wondering if I can make this an opportunity to upgrade the engine (bore out to 3.2...or even 3.8) though that's mostly so I feel I've got something more than the car I had back after I've spent the cash this is going to cost.
Time to hire a car and email Ned & Jamie and Roger now.
B****r, again.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Gutted for you. Mine was flood damaged with previous owner, now has a standard CF2 replacement engine supplied from Autolusso. The air intake is stupidly low.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Sorry to hear that, how deep was the water ? The reason I ask is to make sure it's not got anywhere near the delicate electrics on the Alfa, otherwise aside from the engine you'll be in for a whole host of problems down stream.

Probably cheaper to source a broken 3.0 L engine and swap

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry to hear that, how deep was the water ? The reason I ask is to make sure it's not got anywhere near the delicate electrics on the Alfa, otherwise aside from the engine you'll be in for a whole host of problems down stream.

Probably cheaper to source a broken 3.0 L engine and swap
The water was only about 6- 8 inches - not high enough to come in the doors, for example. I've gone through deeper floods before in the car without problems. This time, though, I'd been through a few more earlier in the journey (serious flash floods in Essex today), and I think the filter box was already sodden when I went into the last one.

Big message to everyone - don't wade in these cars. I never will again, that's for sure.

·
Vendor
47,143 Posts
Bad news - sorry to hear about that. Hold off on hiring a car yet as I'm sure Ned can bring one on a low loader for you if he's coming to collect your GTV V6.

3.0 -> 3.8 is big money, you will spend 10k or not far off.

3.2 is worth thinking about, you need a new engine anyway and I'd say probably best to forget about yours and go with another known good engine, the question is how much prep to do on the engine prior to fitting. Some people just go straight with a used engine and new cambelts, some like to do headgaskets as well and some would say new bearings, rings etc, basically a fully rebuild.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Could your insurance cover this??

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
With an excess that adds up to £900, and the loss of maximum NCD, I'm not sure that it's worth it. I'll give them a call today, though.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bad news - sorry to hear about that. Hold off on hiring a car yet as I'm sure Ned can bring one on a low loader for you if he's coming to collect your GTV V6.

3.0 -> 3.8 is big money, you will spend 10k or not far off.

3.2 is worth thinking about, you need a new engine anyway and I'd say probably best to forget about yours and go with another known good engine, the question is how much prep to do on the engine prior to fitting. Some people just go straight with a used engine and new cambelts, some like to do headgaskets as well and some would say new bearings, rings etc, basically a fully rebuild.
Yes, I do like the sound of putting a rebuilt 3.2 in there. I've emailed Ned, and I'll call him in the morning. Just a question of what he has available engine wise and what he can do for what proportion of next summer's holiday fund, really, though it's a big lump of work, so I'll have to get a second opinion.

·
Registered
204 Posts
With an excess that adds up to £900, and the loss of maximum NCD, I'm not sure that it's worth it. I'll give them a call today, though.
Just be a bit careful about notifying your insurers if you don't intend to claim. I once had a Porsche cayenne go into the back of me at low speed and I enquired about something on my policy in relation to it and my insurance co tried to stiff me on the NCD:tut:

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just be a bit careful about notifying your insurers if you don't intend to claim. I once had a Porsche cayenne go into the back of me at low speed and I enquired about something on my policy in relation to it and my insurance co tried to stiff me on the NCD:tut:
Interesting chat with insurers. They were very helpful, and insurance may play a part in this - the write off valuation they put on my car was higher than I thought it would be - and at the end of the conversation they asked if I wanted the incident recorded prior to making a claim. I said not at this point, and they agreed.
Aviva - very impressed. Not just a quality advertising campaign.

·
Premium Member
7,045 Posts
Yes, I do like the sound of putting a rebuilt 3.2 in there. I've emailed Ned, and I'll call him in the morning. Just a question of what he has available engine wise and what he can do for what proportion of next summer's holiday fund, really, though it's a big lump of work, so I'll have to get a second opinion.
Hello, yes it is a "big lump of work" and whatever you do it is not going to be easy or cheap

You engine is going to be scrap and you will need either a used engine fitted with all the belts done etc or a rebuilt engine

We do have 3.2 new (rebuilt by us) and used 3.2 engines in stock but this is going to be really expensive and I am not sure the extra 200cc is going to be worth it

Anyway we can have a chat about it tomorrow :thumbs:

It is worth us discussing the options with your insurance company

Ned

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's sorted.
Went for Alfa Workshop in the end (no doubt Ned would have sorted it too), and 5 weeks later I've just driven home. My engine has been rebuilt, with two new pistons/liners rings and a couple of second hand rods. Not cheap, of course, and I've got 1k of running in miles to go, but I have the car back.
The car now carries a Category C, but that won't be an issue as I have no plans to sell. I'll find out later this week what portion of the costs my insurance will pay.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts