Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear all:
I need your help, can anyone told me where is the hood pump resevoir, becasue i want to re-fill the fluid, and did anyone know what kind of fluid is the right one? because my car hood can't fully open

G

·
I have no experience on spiders but have worked on peugeot and jag hoods.The pump and reservoir will be in the boot behind a panel. The fluid is unlikely to be your problem unless there is an obvious leak.Check with alfa for the correct spec fluid, some have been superceded because they go thick and gooey, this could be your problem. If so the whole system has to be flushed and replaced with the later oil. As I said this is from experience with other cars not alfas, but might help.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
let check for this, the probelm happend long time, still can't find what the point. the hood can't fully open , this is the second time like that, the first time i check the connetion, it's not hold very well, so put it back , the hood work, but..... this time no idea.:(

·
Registered
31 Posts
The correct fluid is Tutela GI/R which is produced by Selenia and has their product code 1442. If you search back in the various threads you will find that the correct product is hard to obtain in UK and some people have used Dexron II which is the same specification as Selenia GI/A and which is used in the power steering system. However, Dexron II is more viscous (10 sae) than Tutela GI/R (5 sae) and there is a chance that a change in fluid could damage the system seals. You should be able to obtain Tutela GI/R from a FIAT agent as it is also used in some FIAT cars.

Although the manual says you have to fill the reservoir with the hood down and the hood cover closed - you have to get at it through the back panel in the compartment behind the seats - if you stop the hood opening sequence when the hood cover is open and the 5th arc actuators have extended (thats the bit where the back of the hood comes up to clear the hood cover) you can then get a good view of the reservoir, control unit, pipes and actuators. You can check then whether there is any fluid leakage below any of the actuators. Warning! do not put you hands near any of the pipes or actuators whilst the system is pressurised, a pinhole jet leaking fluid at several hundred psi will cut your hand severely. The system de-pressurizes 5-10 seconds after the control switch is released and the ignition switched off.

G

·
Good stuff bjrn. Definitely don't use atf or dexron fluid. If you can't get the proper alfa oil, try Pentosin CHF11S used in lots cabrio hood systems.A good trick with hoods is to operate them manually a couple of times (usually with a key in your car tool kit or an allen key),then try it again off the switch.It seems to reset everything and quite often works.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.