Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My hvac controller always seems to be in auto mode,I can manually choose vents,fan speed etc but the panel randomly increases fan speed.
Also if panel is off it will switch back on and ramp the fan up.
Is this a fault or is it a typical Italian electronics quirk that everyone else’s 159 does?

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
No, although I can never find a comfortable setting for my AC, and it has been known to suddenly ramp up the fan speed, but if it's off, it stays off.

Have you got a copy of MES? - you may be able to interrogate the AC control unit for faults.

I'm led to believe lots of people have experienced issues with the blower resistor.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, although I can never find a comfortable setting for my AC, and it has been known to suddenly ramp up the fan speed, but if it's off, it stays off.

Have you got a copy of MES? - you may be able to interrogate the AC control unit for faults.

I'm led to believe lots of people have experienced issues with the blower resistor.
Yes I have MES so will plug it in see if anything comes up.
Know what you mean about comfortable temp it’s one extreme to the other even on 16 if outside temp is low like today it pumps heat out.
I will look in to the blower resistor aswell.

·
Registered
519 Posts
If it has a mind of its own, it’s likely that it has a fault with the cabin temperature sensor built into the controlpanel (left bottom corner). Fault should stored then.

It’s very common failure and had to replace mine as well last summer with its extreme temperatures. It’s only sold by an entire and very expensive control unit though.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Scanned with MES got no faults logged but I noticed cabin temp is exactly same as ambient temp. Had car been left overnight then I would expect this buyer had just come back so cabin was defo warmer than the 12 degrees ambient temp.

Going to check the sensor for fluff when it’s light enough to see,failing that anyone ever stripped panel and changed the temp sensor on its own?

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Not exactly, but removing the panel is easy enough, and access to the temp sensor is easy - I cleared mine out when I was replacing the stereo. Not sure how it would be to replace the sensing element....

A squirt of brake cleaner or similar, and a blow with some compressed air in a can should probably clear it out

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Took it out today it was indeed full of fluff and dust so will see how it performs now.
Not a chance of changing the sensor as it is part of the PCB,the previous ones I have renewed were external type with legs soldered to PCB within the fan assembly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts