Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I am a regular DM basher but I don’t even know where to start with this one. Mrs R (who isn’t even slightly thick, bigoted, or indignant) like to unwind occasionally with some celebrity tattle tales from the Daily Mail. She stumbled across this:

Alisa Dmitrijeva: Teenager found murdered on Queen's Sandringham estate | Mail Online

Read the story and see what impression it gives you.

Something like this: Idyllic English market town which has quietly goes about its peaceful and law abiding business until it was ravaged by an invasion of murderous, drug-crazed Balkans?

The point is, we live close to where the girl was found and have known Wisbech for a long time. It had a reputation for lawlessness and anti-social behaviour long before it had any significant Eastern European population. The real story which should have been reported is one of a tragic tale about young girl who made some bad life choices and met a sticky end. She happened to be Eastern European, but that is not really relevant to the story.

I know that everyone will have a different interpretation on the same events. To suggest that no recent Eastern European migrants are involved in crime would be ridiculous. To report that there is a “Baltic mafia” blighting all our lives is irresponsible and immoral because it feeds hate and creates division.

Don't forget, this is the same paper that supported Mosely and his British Fascists in the ‘30s ("Hurrah for the Blackshirts") and argued that the fate of the Czechs should be of no concern to Englishmen. It goes beyond right-wing. The really shameful thing is that it is currently one of the most widely circulated papers in the UK. :(

Perhaps I'm in the wrong and the DM actually does a brave job exposing injustices and abuses to our great land? :confused:

·
Super Moderator
916 Spider P1 Lusso
9,446 Posts
It took me ages to work out that DM = Daily Mail :lol:

I won't buy these papers anymore. They are just full of nonsense that stirs hatred and division in an already festering society.

I won't be a party to it.

·
Registered
11,449 Posts
As you say, a sad tale of a young woman's tragic early death, which almost certainly has nothing whatever to do with the nationality or ethnicity of those involved.

The spirit of Mosely is still alive in the Mail, and let's hope the spirit of those who fought to prevent the Blackshirts marching in the Battle of Cable Street, 1936 - YouTube also lives on and is still strong enough to resist this shameful hate-mongering.

·
Administrator
45,540 Posts
Call me daft, but I won't be clicking the link because I simply don't want to give them a hit. I know of the story though, and can just imagine the slant they put on it.

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
i despise the daily mail. it's almost worse than the s*n cos it thinks it's a cut above the tabloids. it's not. it's a poisonous rag pandering to the basest fears of a paranoid, ill-informed, net curtian-twitching, insular readership. it's like kelvin mckenzie for people who can read & write

·
Super Moderator
916 Spider P1 Lusso
9,446 Posts
Call me daft, but I won't be clicking the link because I simply don't want to give them a hit. I know of the story though, and can just imagine the slant they put on it.
My thoughts exactly :)

·
Registered
448 Posts
i despise the daily mail. it's almost worse than the s*n cos it thinks it's a cut above the tabloids. it's not. it's a poisonous rag pandering to the basest fears of a paranoid, ill-informed, net curtian-twitching, insular readership. it's like kelvin mckenzie for people who can read & write
.........but can't think.

·
Registered
17,658 Posts

The spirit of Mosely is still alive in the Mail, and let's hope the spirit of those who fought to prevent the Blackshirts marching in the Battle of Cable Street, 1936 - YouTube also lives on and is still strong enough to resist this shameful hate-mongering.
I can see a brief glimpse of my dear old Dad in that film. He was an active member of the
communist party and was involved in quite a few 'riots' against Mosely.

I think I've mentioned before that he ended up in one of the buildings throwing flower
pots at the fascists.

I still have newspaper cuttings of the anti nazi slogans he painted on a local railway bridge.

·
Banned
112 Posts
OK. I have to be honest, I find the continued DM bashing by some people to be surprising; they appear to be demonstrating the very same bigotry and hate that they profess to despise.

To compare the editorial policy of a newspaper from 1933, and claim that it has any bearing on 2012 is frankly lazy, and unworthy of an intelligent and fair minded commentator.

I have no knowledge of Wisbech, so cannot make any judgement on the story. What I think peolpe forget however is that it was the DM who printed the following Headline:

"MURDERERS"
Above the pictures of the 5 Stephen Lawrence suspects after the collapse of the first trial.

This was hardly the action of a so called "facist" newspaper.

Furthermore, it is insulting to the circa 2 Million readership to accuse them of being facist, not to mention palpably inaccurate; if they were so inclined, the BNP would enjoy a much greater share of vote. In fact, most of them are that of the clumsily titled "Middle England" variety, probably just like Mrs R.

If the DM haters actually took time out to read it in full (rather than pulling out selective items), they would find a surprisingly balanced and varied coverage; more balanced I would wager than the Guardian, which has just a 10th of the DM's circulation and falling fast.

Let's be more tolerant and opened minded out there.......

·
Premium Member
77,372 Posts
I agree entirely with your theme and your ending note is spot on.

Set in the context of much of the DM's 'work' though, the only way I would support the view that the rag was balanced would be to suggest that it is consistently nasty across a broad spectrum of targets.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
To compare the editorial policy of a newspaper from 1933, and claim that it has any bearing on 2012 is frankly lazy,
I think you are right Clover. A bit clumsy really and doesn't add much more than sensationalism. It is important to know where a paper has come from though, so I don't totally condemn myself.

Furthermore, it is insulting to the circa 2 Million readership to accuse them of being facist, not to mention palpably inaccurate; if they were so inclined, the BNP would enjoy a much greater share of vote. In fact, most of them are that of the clumsily titled "Middle England" variety, probably just like Mrs R.
I hope I didn't imply that. I didn't mean to if I did. Of course there are some (majority?) readers who must look beyond the sinister editorial overtones and just enjoy a bit of celebrity/Royal/public sector scandal. Good luck to them, the DM does that sort of thing well. My concern is for the ones who read it carefully.

they would find a surprisingly balanced and varied coverage
You are kidding surely?

·
Registered
11,449 Posts
OK. I have to be honest, I find the continued DM bashing by some people to be surprising; they appear to be demonstrating the very same bigotry and hate that they profess to despise.
So to hate bigotry is bigoted? :confused:

To compare the editorial policy of a newspaper from 1933, and claim that it has any bearing on 2012 is frankly lazy, and unworthy of an intelligent and fair minded commentator.
It's perfectly valid to point out that a newspaper that sympathised with a group who tried to blame problems on certain racial groups in the 1930's continues that tendency today.

"MURDERERS"
Above the pictures of the 5 Stephen Lawrence suspects after the collapse of the first trial.

This was hardly the action of a so called "facist" newspaper.
The Mail did a good thing on this occasion, credit to them for it. But it doesn't excuse the fact that they have printed countless 'stories' over many years stirring up resentment towards recent immigrants.

Nobody here has accused Mail readers of being fascists (I assume that's what you meant as opposed to people who discriminate on grounds of face?)
The Mail encourages its readers to harbour resentment against immigrants.
This is not balanced, it is nasty and irresponsible.

·
Banned
112 Posts

You are kidding surely?
Try it ;)

So to hate bigotry is bigoted? :confused:

I think that those who try and take the moral high ground need to take a close look at themselves.

It's perfectly valid to point out that a newspaper that sympathised with a group who tried to blame problems on certain racial groups in the 1930's continues that tendency today.

No, it is not at all valid. Oswald Moseley used to be a member of the Labour Party - what bearing does that have on the BUF ? Nothing. People move on (well, most do)

The Mail encourages its readers to harbour resentment against immigrants.
This is not balanced, it is nasty and irresponsible.
And your evidence for this is what, exactly ? That sort of behavior would be illegal, so I trust you are currently persuing some form of court action against the DM ? Oh, thought not :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You know me better than that C! :lol: It is too corrosive for my tastes, but I did read the whole article I linked to. I'm happy enough to look over Mrs R's shoulder at the bikini clad celebrities, but that's about it.

I did use to read it a lot though. My Nan had it every day and, when she was alive I would visit her as often as possible, often two or three times per week on the way home from work. I'd read it as she made a cuppa. She was a lovely person whom I adored but typical of her generation - she would complain bitterly about "darkies" and would hit me on the ear with a rolled up paper if I laughed at the Royals. :)

·
Registered
7,159 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Banned
112 Posts
The DM takes an explicitly dangerous and corrosive editorial line. You should be ashamed of yourself trying to defend it. Period.
Except when it doesn't. I feel no shame in being amongst 2 Million other like minded individuals.

Suzanne Moore | Mail Online

There is for instance a daily column by Suzanne Moore, who also writes for the Guardian. Right wing, "dangerous and corrosive", she ain't.

Clover, we can all pick articles to prove a point. Here is another recent "random" article:

Sunny Islam: 'Strict' Muslim raped 4 women at knifepoint to 'punish them' | Mail Online

The real story is about a deviant and dangerous rapist. What is the relevance of his faith? Can you think of any other paper who would have reported the story that way?
R, as I said, the reporting is mixed. The relevance of his faith here was that he was using it to justify his actions, ie to "punish" the women for being out on the street late at night. You may disagree as to the relevance, as you are entitled to.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts