Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked at a GTV6 on Saturday 1983 ALFA ROMEO GTV 2.5 - Cape Town / Western Cape used car for sale - Gumtree Cape Town / Western Cape Free Classifieds .
The ad wording, pic and price of R 49000 suggested that it was in good nick, but when I got there I was disappointed. Starting the car took a couple of swings and there was a slight oil leak below the motor. The handbrake was snapped in half (guy tried unsuccessfully to weld it). Starting the car up I could feel the prop vibrate and when I popped the hood the motor was shaking slightly from side to side. Then there seemed to be some parts missing in the engine bay, but I couldn't tell what as I know almost nothing about these cars. The steering rack is also buggered according to the owner, something about something that clicks into place which doesn't click into place. Body is decent with a 6 out of 10 paintjob and the interior is OK. Rev counter does not work and battery light shines although it's not flat, but other electrics are OK, except for the electric windows which need help going down. Motor seems quite strong though (owner revved it), but I didn't drive it because I didn't want anything to happen because of the steering rack.

My question is: is it worth it offering this guy R30k and fixing or should I wait for something else which is more expensive but sorted? I'm also interested in this if the Gauteng guys can vouch for it Alfa Guiletta 2.5 GTV6 Drive Train For Sale Johannesburg Quality Classifieds | Junk Mail .

·
Registered
1,471 Posts

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Offer 20k and explain what's wrong with the car and the work it takes to get it fixed. Its amazing how on Wheeler Dealers and other car shows like Graveyard kings or whatever they called they look at a car, tell the owner they are interested, ask him how much he wants...then they start haggeling, and tell him exactly waht neesd to be done to get the car in a condition that's worth his price...and in the end they get what they want, the car and a price that suits them...we should be more like that in SA...not just accepting the advertised price!

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
From what El says, it would cost a LOT to get the red GTV in good nick, and he may not be lucky enough to find some of the parts. There also may be hidden surprises lurking...

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the heads-up, DNA.
That does look good, Ian. Pity it's so far out.
The bodywork is good, but there is no way I would pay him the R49 000 he's asking. The car was originally on Gumtree for R36k 5 or 6 months ago and it magically increased in value by R13k for a not-so-good paintjob.
Funny how this seems to happen a lot on gumtree. There's this car I was thinking of getting Alfa 156 Sport - Hi Performance - Cape Town / Western Cape used car for sale - Gumtree Cape Town / Western Cape Free Classifieds, which started at R52k and is now at R56k in 3 months!
I replayed the conversation in my mind and remember this: he pulled out two pages which detailed the repairs undertaken on the car by the previous owner (a dominee who bought the car from another dominee) when he supposedly did the cambelt 7 months ago. But the paper looked awfully fresh as well as the ink on it. I was thinking of asking him to write me a quote to compare the two handwriting samples if I ever went back, but I don't think I will be going back.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Whatever you do be patient or you will end up with a lemon.
The cars are old and all sort of monkeys tried fixing them at some stage.
Remember that you will spend about 4k to sort the prop if you are lucky and it’s not damaged to badly.
Gearbox will set you back a couple of rand considering that a synchro-mesh is between R500 and R1000 depending on where you get it and how soon you want it.
The original twin plate clutch is another story.

The body
Rust below the windscreen that was patched, Rust above the rear bumper and around the taillights.
Rust behind the plastic sills under the door’s, Rust on the back of the front fenders, Rust inside the bonnet on the outer sills (behind the water bottle and on the driver side as well.
Know what you are looking for and thoroughly check it out.
The best buy tend to be the on that looks a bit worse for wear but the paint is still oe and all the rust are visible.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts