Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just noticed in the driver's door frame a sticker saying to replace the airbags after 10 years. Now's there is loads of paranoia about changing cambelt after 3 years but hands up all that have renewed a potentially life saving device. Just wondering.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Just noticed in the driver's door frame a sticker saying to replace the airbags after 10 years. Now's there is loads of paranoia about changing cambelt after 3 years but hands up all that have renewed a potentially life saving device. Just wondering.
When the stickers were applied, it was thought that airbags would have a finite life.

FIAT stated a few years ago that this does not seem to be the case. The sticker can be safely ignored.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
They still put the stickers on new cars due to EU regs. Ignore them.

Pre 1990 airbags should be changed after 10 years. Anything made after 1990 is good for the life of the car. This applies to all car makes, not uniquely Alfa/Fiat.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
They seemed to have worked in the crashed 2000 X reg GTV you posted about: http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-gtv-andamp-916-spider/896081-makes-you-winch.html

Clive
They may well have deployed, but the state of the Drivers cell is deplorable !! :dead:

The deformation on the A/B pillar regions certainly make you think that these cars are pretty poor in a severe crash... Passenger would have probably survived as all the impact is on the drivers side - that looks like a one way ticket to the Pearly Gates or a Coma, if you're lucky...

We all know how useless the Momo seats are during spirited driving, let alone how the occupants would have been thrown around on impact.. So doubt the airbags would have done much to reduce head injury. Would be like a party balloon knocking around the cockpit.

Hopefully they did survive ok, but very shocking to say the least !!

·
Registered
Porsche Cayenne Diseasel (2011)
26,152 Posts
How many years can we ignore the cambelt change? :paranoid:
If you ignore it long enough it will have lasted the life span of the car.
As per EU regulations :D

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
- that looks like a one way ticket to the Pearly Gates or a Coma, if you're lucky...
I'd say the driver got out of that with very little issue at all. Maybe sore ribs from the steering wheel.

You're missing one very important clue with that wreck. Trumpton didn't cut the roof off. And believe me, an occupant only has to complain about feeling unwell and the roof comes off these days followed by the door being cut off.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
I'd say the driver got out of that with very little issue at all. Maybe sore ribs from the steering wheel.

You're missing one very important clue with that wreck. Trumpton didn't cut the roof off. And believe me, an occupant only has to complain about feeling unwell and the roof comes off these days followed by the door being cut off.
+1, looks ok to me.

Clive

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
That's what the Americans call a small offset crash. From the looks of it the car took a glancing blow which didn't fully engage the front crash protection structures. The front cross member looks like it missed the impact almost completely. The drivers-side side member and A-pillar structure look to have taken the brunt of the impact. I would've said that wasn't a bad crash protection performance given the circumstances of the crash. Apparently small offset crashes are some of most difficult to protect the occupants from.

The footwells look intact and there looks to be sufficient space after the impact plus the airbags deployed as intended. I would've said not a bad showing for such an old design

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
18,226 Posts
That's what the Americans call a small offset crash. From the looks of it the car took a glancing blow which didn't fully engage the front crash protection structures. The front cross member looks like it missed the impact almost completely. The drivers-side side member and A-pillar structure look to have taken the brunt of the impact. I would've said that wasn't a bad crash protection performance given the circumstances of the crash. Apparently small offset crashes are some of most difficult to protect the occupants from.

The footwells look intact and there looks to be sufficient space after the impact plus the airbags deployed as intended. I would've said not a bad showing for such an old design
agree. Probably low-ish speed but on a very 'soft' part of the car, outside the crash structure.

In the States, they (Institute for Highway Safety or something) now conducts small offset crash tests (20% overlap, I think), to replicate the sort of impact that GTV had. In that test, a lot of cars are where we were at before NCAP and the 40% overlap, so work still needs to be done there.

As for the airbag question, I know Mercedes recently crash tested a 30 year old S-Class (W126, I think) to celebrate 30 years of the airbag. The S-Class it found was one of the first to feature an airbag, and it ended its life being slammed into a barrier in front of the press. The airbag worked. I think the owner was also given a new C-Class as a sweetener for MB buying his pride and joy and then totaling it. I'll post the link up if I can find it - I know it's about.

·
Registered
38,288 Posts
Isn't a car normally destroyed without breaking it if the accident was fatal?

Surely the coroner etc would need to do some for of report on it.

Looks like it went under the rear of a truck or something.

Considering how often GTV airbag lights come on I am surprised they fired at all...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Airbags were created/invented by a person who thought people would not wear seat belts. Do a Google search and you will be able to confirm this. Sadly this person died relatively recently due to a car accident and unfortunately was not wearing a seat belt.

As I wear my seat belt, if I owned a car that had reached that 10 year limit, I'd consider removing the airbags or their activation control.

I believe it is also impossible to confirm if an airbag has indeed ever saved anybodies life, but we know that early ones injured or killed young children ... but yes the driver is actually the one responsible for causing the accident in the first place.

Many have said that the driver should have a sharp spike pointing at him/her from the centre of the steering wheel if they really wanted to improve road safety. Making cars "feel" overly safe does not improve road safety, it makes drivers blasé ... unfortunately.

Just my opinion.
Pete

1 - 18 of 18 Posts