Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I changed my wife’s 147 for a 2012 140hp Giulietta jtdm. It’s a great car but by modern standards, the oil consumption is worryingly huge, maybe a litre every thousand km, although I’ve not carefully monitored. The 147 used nothing between changes. It doesn’t drip any oil and even in the dark with headlights behind there is no obvious burning excessively. It had a new turbo before we bought it and she seems to run perfectly. I’m sensible about this, it must be burning the oil, it has to go somewhere, but are there any common faults along these lines with these cars?
a friend used to habe a 159 petrol and he complained of very high oil consumption too. Ideas anyone?

·
Registered
40,610 Posts
I would be suspicious of the turbo. The engines themselves are very strong and I don't think there have been very many (if any) problems on here with the engine itself causing an oil consumption problem.

It could also be a crank case breather problem, but again that would be very rare.

Try taking the large air intale off from the middle of the turbo, there is likely to be some oil which is normal, but lots of it and the turbo seals are leaking. You might also see some escaping around the MAF sensor.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
They tend to use some oil when overfilled, but this shouldn't be an issue when the oil level is at or below max.

Let the oil level go to minimum before adding new, maybe the oil consumption slows or stops completely before reaching minimum. If not, it's time to start diagnosing where the oil goes as it will end in tears if left unchecked.

·
Registered
40,610 Posts
Ours doesn't ever require topping up between oil changes.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
My 147 used to use oil, nothing over and above the indicated level mentioned in the book.
159 and Giulietta use nothing between yearly services.

·
Registered
40,610 Posts
Check for leaks under the car as well. The undertray can do a good job of catching a lot of oil so that it doesn't appear on the ground.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I do add oil a couple of times between changes but not much.
Do you know any details regarding the last oil change and whether it is using the correct oil?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts