Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all,

been looking around the site for the last few hours, god it's good to know alfa people are alive and well.
been an alfa fan for a while. have had two 164's. first one was a V6 (my first car!) but it was a pretty hammered when i got it but i got the most out of her before movin back to ireland (anything over two litres is impossible in ireland, i was living in scotland at the time). i have had a newer twin spark ('96) since then but it has been off the road since last october because i moved and it just didn't suit me to insure it at the time (i also have a van which i have been driving, boring).
i want to get a car on the road now and part of my motivation is that i have to teach my girlfriend to drive (i know, this might be an interesting idea). i would like to drive the 164 again but the problem is insurance (the irish insurance situation is hilarious. in a bad way). i can get a reasonable quote for me but no company will quote my girlfriend also cause she is on a provisional license (this won't work with the 2 litre). also i am not sure the 164 is ideal for learning to drive in.
so i need to get something smaller and cheap with smaller cc and i have been scowering the local classifieds and just getting depressed at the thoughts of buying an old astra. then i thought i might be able to keep it alfa. rather than buying a 1.4 astra why not a 1.4 145/146. these were models i had rather overlooked before. i don't see too many of them advertised but have been reading about them here today and it seems they could keep me entertained whilst giving lessons.
if anyone cared to share thoughts i would much appreciate it.
Cheers,
Hugh.

·
Registered
31,304 Posts
Hi mate, welcome on board. :)

Hugo here... :D

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Welcome to AO :D

Now isn't this interesting ... Hugo didn't ask pics :eek: So I can ... Pics please :D

·
0 Posts
Welcome to AO :D
I have a 2.0 145, but no knowledge of the 1.4 so can`t give you any help there :D

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
Welcome to AO foxy. :)

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Hiya and welcome along :)

I have a 145, albeit a 1.8 T-Spark and I can highly recommend it

Its a fun car to drive, it handles well and turns heads :cool: The size would make it perfect for learning in and it should be satisfying enough for you as well as your girlfriend

It may be a silly question but have you tried Quinn Direct for insurance?

They can be pretty competitive, also Diamond (On Line) work out well if your girlfriend insures the car and puts your ame on it too

Hope this helps, and its good to see some more Irish people on the site :D

·
Registered
12,386 Posts
Welcome to AO :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
glenda said:
Hiya and welcome along :)

I have a 145, albeit a 1.8 T-Spark and I can highly recommend it

Its a fun car to drive, it handles well and turns heads :cool: The size would make it perfect for learning in and it should be satisfying enough for you as well as your girlfriend

It may be a silly question but have you tried Quinn Direct for insurance?

They can be pretty competitive, also Diamond (On Line) work out well if your girlfriend insures the car and puts your ame on it too

Hope this helps, and its good to see some more Irish people on the site :D
Cheers Glenda and thanks all for the welcome,

yeah Quinn Direct are your only man (re: insurance) but they won't do the provisional licence girlfriend on the 164, hoping i can get a policy with them (with herself as a named driver) on a smaller 146 or 145. funny, i don't see any 145's advertised on the internet in ireland at the moment, only 146's.
maybe some other irish folk here might know of any cars going.
thanks everyone,
Hugh.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts