Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
GT 3.2 V6
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My dad became a confirmed Alfista in 1961 when he bought a white 1958 Giulietta he really couldn't afford. He had to give up that car, but he's been trying to recapture the magic of his first Alfa experience ever since. Years later and sometime after I came into the world, he bought a green 1969 GTV. Some of my earliest memories are him working on or driving the Alfa, from painting it in the garage (almost 50 years later, we still find tools and boxes with green overspray) to squeezing me and my baritone inside for a ride to school.

As far back as I can remember, he's always had an Alfa or Alfa project (or two). This week, in his early 80's, he finally finished replacing the clutch on his red 1993 Spider Veloce and was able to get back on the road. Also this week, over 5,000 miles away, I bought my first Alfa: a silver 2004 GT 3.2L V6.

Stateside, I'm generally partial to trucks (I really miss my Gen 3 Dodge Dakota). I bought new a 2010 Dodge Challenger SRT8 in B5 Blue which I truly love for the low rumble and raw power. In high school, I was fascinated by the Gen 1 RX-7's. Many years ago, I even had a 1984 RX-7 GSL-SE, which was loads of fun. A Gen 3 RX-7 would've been more fun, but the timing was never right, ...yet.

Now I am in Poland and I need a car, but I want a car offering at least some fun. I was tempted to get an RX-8, but I settled on either a BMW 3 Series (E46) or another comparable European coupe. After reading the buyer's guides here, several threads, watching scores of videos, I decided on either the BMW, an Alfa GT, or an Alfa GTV. Looking for specific models (I wanted a 6 cylinder with at least 200hp), there were just more opportunities for BMWs. However, I did find one 3.2L V6 GT a little over 3 hours away.

After taking notes from the Italia Autos YT buyers guide and the buyer's guide on this site, I drove over to take a look and go for a test drive. The GT was in decent shape. Like any 16 year old car, there were a few issues here and there. The interior was in especially good condition. Most of the suspension had recently been redone, as had the radiator. Although the rockers had crush marks, there was no visible rust. Best of all, the engine and transmission seemed solid.

Driving the GT for the first time was awesome. The power curve is just so broad, with available torque in almost any gear, at most revs. The sound and feel are very different from my Challenger, but they're both great. Instead of the low, base rumble, the Busso gives a higher pitch, but it still feels powerful. The GT's turning radius is not great, but at speed, there is a clear sense of agility.

A few days later I returned with payment and drove the ~300km back to Zary.

I wouldn't refer to myself as an Alfista yet, but I am already thinking I want to find a GTV -- one with a 3L V6 Busso engine and old enough I can take it back to Texas. In the meantime, I'm looking forward to hanging out around this site and to learning much more.

·
Administrator
60,306 Posts
Wow! Great intro! I have a 94 Spider, I sold my 93. Welcome to AO and good luck on your hunt for your Alfa.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts