Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been thinking of posting this here for a while

Went to look at what I thought seemed like a great deal a few weeks ago, taking our prices and our ridiculous VRT (Vehicle Road Tax) rates into account over here in Ireland

Anyway, first of all, I couldnt find a sales guy
Secondly, I went looking and found it stuck in a corner jammed in between all sorts of stuff
Thirdly, it was actually parked so tight to the car in front of it (at a right angle) that the front bumper was pushed in!!

Hmm, hard to see as theres so many other cars crammed up tight to it.... almost walked right away.......Oh!!! The doors are open.....Jump in.... somethings not quite right here.........

Aha! The car was polished up and hoovered out to make it very presentable, BUT, then I dropped the centre armrest console!!!!

It looked RANK!!!! My own car is heading for 100k in the next few weeks. This is "supposed" to have 66,000 miles! The arm rest console was in bits! Looked like it had done 2 or 300,000 miles. Stepped out, shut the door and walked away after another quick outside view (even though it was blocked in all round) when I saw the marks on the doors etc and it also appeared to have had some very bad respray jobs and that was catching a peek between other cars!

Anyway, it got me to thinking..... our buyers guide here....theres very little reference for new buyers for items to watch for

Oh yeah, the gearknob on mine is worn very badly. The one on this was worse (if thats possible!) Also, the steering wheel had a shine off it like it had been polished prefessionally :D

·
Registered
26,529 Posts
Your not buying it then Mike ??? :lol:

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
the console cover (its plastic not leather BTW) does shred easily if the owner has it in the down position and wears a watch with a metal strap.

·
Registered
26,529 Posts
Little spend is easy at the moment with the 166 !! Dutton Foreshaw in Cardiff took a 2000 model 3.0 Auto with 30K miles for £500 part-ex a couple of weeks ago.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Mike - I think the buyers guide covers the 166 stuff, what you mention above is general wear and tear that is not 166 or Alfa specific! Should be obvious enough to raise questions with anyone.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Alex
The problem is, if I import a car, they charge you VRT on what they deem to be the market value of the car, so for instance, I buy yours at 1500 pounds and they value one here at 4000 euros. Because of CO2 emissions on 3 litre, it would fall into top bracket of 36%, so the car costs roughly 1900 euros from you, VRT approx 1500 Euros and travel and ferry costs on top and I am back at the 4000 Euros or so that they list for here :(

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Dougie. I know what you mean. I suppose I didn't title the thread great or describe what I am trying to say better.

I mean are there typical mileage intervals that you could judge stuff on

EG. Centre arm rest will look badly scuffed once its done in excess of 100,000 miles

Most gearknobs are worn by 50,000 miles etc.

I know wear and tear is not an exact science, but generally different cosmetic items will wear at different rates on various cars, give or take 10-20,000 miles or so

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
All down to how a car is treated. My Super had just under 100k miles when I sold and my 3.2 Ti had 86k miles when sold, neither had any interior wear issues.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I know how you feel.
when I imported my 166 I payed 5k pounds, they valued it to 12500 euros, without even looking at it. I didn't know if I should laugh or cry when the "expert" copied(!) over the data from the V5 doc and wrote "A L P H A" in the book....

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
Klap was the 5k importation duty above the cost of the car or what?

That's a healthy mark up whether he can spell or not he can call it what he wants...........Hm ...2 166's to Ireland me thinks if my arithmetic is right.

Pomeo

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
no, I bought the car in the UK for ~5k pounds, the Irish Registration office valued it to ~12k euros, so I had to pay ~2,5k euros registration tax. When I wrote the cheque I was so tempted to write on the back "for your hospital bills"...

(when I told them there is a similar 166 for sale in Ireland (super, but no sat nav and no phone) for 7k, they said I can file a complaint for 20 euros _after_ I paid the tax. I didn't.)

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
How much was the cheque?

2.5 euros.....can claim back 20. On a point of principle I would have done it...just to muck them up.

Pomeo

1 - 17 of 17 Posts