Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
bought w reg 156 2.0l last week booked in to local alfa speacalist for timing belt and variator in between this got a bit noisier guy just phoned to say big ends gone !!!!! not bad for a weeks owner ship any one any ideas on recon engine

·
Registered
153 Posts
Give it back to the person you got it off. Presuming you are in the UK, the Sale of Goods act means the seller is obliged to make it right or give you your money back.
The pretence is if you knew the big end was shagged you wouldn't have purchased it, or would have had more money off.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi sorry dont think that works on a private sale garage reckons prob put new oil and possibly an additive to mask it for a while gutted awesome car to drive as well

·
Registered
153 Posts
Double check, and do so quickly, beacuse although you don't have as many rights you should still have rights to protect you from this on a private sale.

It depends strongly on if you were misled as to the condition of the car too, but definately worth a call to the local Citizens Advice or something to be sure.

A friend of mine bought a car, but had the pistons go through the bonnet in the first month. Managed to get all her money back off the chap, who was very apologetic.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
all 5s good managed to source new engine will be stripping out old one today anything i should watch out for guys

·
Vendor
46,139 Posts
Double check, and do so quickly, beacuse although you don't have as many rights you should still have rights to protect you from this on a private sale.

It depends strongly on if you were misled as to the condition of the car too, but definately worth a call to the local Citizens Advice or something to be sure.

A friend of mine bought a car, but had the pistons go through the bonnet in the first month. Managed to get all her money back off the chap, who was very apologetic.
You can get your money back provided you can prove the previous owner was aware of the problem and didn't inform you about it before you bought the car. So basically, unless you get them to admit it its very difficult to get your money back..

D

·
0 Posts
Near on impossible I'd say. A private sale is always, in my book anyway, 'Sold as seen with no warranty implied or given'.

Meaning that it can blow up 2 minutes down the road and you'll have no comeback.

Sorry to hear about this though mate, bit of a pain in the ass eh, :(

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yup wife now not impressed with my my buying skills in saying that i did knock him down from £1600 to £1100 theres me thinking i was great by pointing out no record of timeing belt variator etc being changed luckily friend decided his sillyspeed was to expenvise to repair so bought car from him for £200 and gained new engine 70k full history

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
OK - that's a result......But unless the belt was changed in the last 16000 miles or so, worth changing before installing...

And you can make your money back, and maybe impress the wife - by selling the head off your old engine - £150+, and the sump - £50+. stripping off the mirrors. headlights, and sunvisors - all sellable, plus anything else you've got space for - then sell the rest to your local scrap metal merchant - I'm drawing £160 / tonne at the moment...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts