Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to permanently turn off the air con compressor as it keeps turning itself back on automatically, I have searched threads and cant seem to find any definitive answers to this problem.
I am currently driving for 3 hours a day and as a student I want to save as much fuel as possible!
I found a fuse for the "climate control compressor" and removed it but this didn't disable it.
does anyone have any ideas?

I am driving a 02 147 sele

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response sa155ae but this is only for models made before 2000.

·
Registered
30,252 Posts
It is for pre-2002 156, not 147.

·
Registered
96 Posts
once u set a temperature redirect the air or put the recirvulate on auto yourself.
i generally find that means until you touch the main auto button or adjust the temp it stays off.

Gorgeous car btw!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi!! Look inside the bonet, to the compressor, you will see two wires, with a plug in them, disconect the plug and voila, the compressor is off...but normaly if you disconet the AUTO function iside the car the compressor will not turn of by himself...

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So David c does this mean it will work for my 147?

I will give your advice a go Spyder 84. Thank you! she was even more gorgeous before some ASBO's keyd the S*$t out of her :(

·
Registered
34 Posts
Is it possible to permanently turn off the air con compressor as it keeps turning itself back on automatically, I have searched threads and cant seem to find any definitive answers to this problem.
I am currently driving for 3 hours a day and as a student I want to save as much fuel as possible!
I found a fuse for the "climate control compressor" and removed it but this didn't disable it.
does anyone have any ideas?

I am driving a 02 147 sele

think it's worth it, maybe you'll save some money on fuel, but you'll break down compressor if he will not work.

G

·
My air con seems to have a mind of it's own when you first set off. It does all sorts of things till everything is up to temperature. Sometimes aircon works with screen clear, sometimes doesn't, fan speed high, fan speed low. It is like there is a little man with a coin tossing heads or tails everytime I turn it on!! Maybe you can get the ECU programmed to omit all of the Aircon functions??

·
Registered
96 Posts
Shame about your paintwork! Some people really just need to be shot! I think the death penalty needs to come back to change some peoples attitude to others.

Back on the air con, when I first got the car I was confused as hell that every time I touched anything the air con would come on. I think it usually does it if you change the temperature betweeen HI / LO and the auto climate temp settings. also comes on with the front windscreen demister, but to be honest that's ideal (as it saves me pitting it on for 5 mins myself)

Messing with the ECU or under the bonnet seems a bit mad, but if you really can't stand the air con I suppose its an issue.. I also notice mine doesn't work when the Ice warning is on, or under a certain temp.

Once u got used to it you won't even notice yourself turning it off!
Oh and its my 1st car with air con, so i think the novelty is still there :)

·
Registered
7,090 Posts
Switching the compressor off permanently is not a good idea. The air conditioning needs to be run periodically to keep the seals lubricated - failure to do so can result in leakage & loss of refrigerant.

Personally I've never seen a significant difference in fuel consumption with air conditioning on or off; the cost of getting the system regassed would be far more than any negligible saving in fuel!

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have same problem with my 2.0 147 Lusso - The air con just comes on when it wants. I hate the Auto climate control but you can't really turn it fully off auto - can you?
I've tried a number iof different button combinations but no luck in getting it completely off?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update: i have had a bit of wat is probably luck! i found that if i turn the air con off as soon as i get in the car it tends not to come on again for the whole journey!
Dave Brand that seems like a good bit of advice if i loose all my gas i wil be annoyed in the summer (if we actualy get a hot summer)
Spyder i would of done alot more than shoot them if i had got hold of them. being shot is to quick a death!! they have ruined it, i have lost a bit of love for her now she is all scratched.
Thanks for all the advice guys

1 - 13 of 13 Posts