Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When changing my front springs yesterday the drive shaft popped out and leaked around a litre of gearbox oil. Where is the filler point for the box as some say it is under the engine and others access it from under the battery tray? I do not have access to a ramp so can it be done on axle stands or is the battery option easier? I have brought a litre of comma 75 w90 oil to replace the spilt amount as this was only last filled a few months ago when I had my box bearings replaced.

Is there anyway to check i am replacing the right amount of lost oil?

My box is the m32 1.9 jtdm

Sent from my iPad

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
Yeh, the M32 gearbox is from the top ( though I understand it can be done from the side also), take out the batter and you should have access, though you will need an extender and it can be a bugger to loosen, guessing the issue will be knowing how much to put in,

Any spelling/ grammatical errors are purely there to annoy!

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Its tricky to just top up if your not sure how much came out, I think the safest way will be to drain the oil out and then refill with 3 liters, thats more than the standard 2.3 but is whats recomended and safe to do, I've had 3 in mine for a while with no issues.

Make sure you can undo the filler plug and get the oil in before draining the old out, the filler is an 8mm allen key bung on the top of the box, you can get to it without removing the battery if you use an allen key socket and a 12'' extension.

You would be wise to use a better spec oil than the comma, either redline mt90 or fuchs sinto fluid in the correct gl4 spec are recomended.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Drain and use 3-litres of Fuchs Sintofluid. As recommended by Autolusso...

Refill from the top. You can do this without removing the battery using long gear.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I admit I'm new to Alfa, but what is the logic / reason behind using 3 litres of oil in the box over the specified 2.3?

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
The reason behind using more oil is that the m32 box used in the 1.9 jtdm and the 2.2 petrols have 3 shafts almost on top of each other each with a bearing in the end casing, the bearing at the top which is just splash lubricated often fails as it is too small but also not being lubricated properly doesnt help so using an extra 0.7L helps to keep it lubricated properly and also as the boxes run very hot the extra oil should help to keep it cooler so the oil stays in grade.
For the same reasons it is important to use a quality oil of the correct spec rather than a regular mineral or semi synthetic oil, my preference would be Redline mt90 as it is an Ester based synthetic.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The reason behind using more oil is that the m32 box used in the 1.9 jtdm and the 2.2 petrols have 3 shafts almost on top of each other each with a bearing in the end casing, the bearing at the top which is just splash lubricated often fails as it is too small but also not being lubricated properly doesnt help so using an extra 0.7L helps to keep it lubricated properly and also as the boxes run very hot the extra oil should help to keep it cooler so the oil stays in grade.
For the same reasons it is important to use a quality oil of the correct spec rather than a regular mineral or semi synthetic oil, my preference would be Redline mt90 as it is an Ester based synthetic.
Thans Jon, great explanation.

Changed the oil in my gearbox last weekend, just topped it off with the extra 0.7 litres today.

Regards

Brenton.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
There is a breather vent cap just next to the filler plug, its worth checking it moves freely up and down a few mill so the box doesn't pressurise and after a trip check its not blowing any oil out.
Ive had 3 liters in mine for a while now and when i first overfilled it I also removed the filler plug after a long run to see if ther was any pressure in the box but there wasnt.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts