Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Spider 3.0 V6 24v Lightning Blu
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the heading says, how can I tell if my car was fitted with a EGR restrictor from the factory without actually taking the EGR valve off to look?

If I've not got one I'd like to fit it. The genuine one is so cheap it's silly not to.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
EGR is on the top right hand corner of the engine near to where the large rubber boost pipe enters. If you have a restrictor or blanking plate you will see a 2mm plate between the EGR valve and the head. Be careful with the 4 bolts that hold the EGR valve as the aluminium is very weak and it is easy to strip the threads. If you remove put back with lots of copper grease and tighten as loosely as you can get away with.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
According to EPER it was build in October 2007.

·
Vendor
46,352 Posts
I would think it is unlikely it had that plate in from factory as early as October 2007.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would think it is unlikely it had that plate in from factory as early as October 2007.
Fair enough. I'll have a look this weekend if I can. The car has a slight leak from what i think is one of the oil cooler pipes or the oil cooler itself. I might just get that sorted and do the EGR restrictor at the same time.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Should this restrictor gasket also be fitted at the same time?

I just fitted the square top plate and gasket but not a restrictor, a blank.

I don't believe the restrictor is really helping in the long run. The volume of egr is still the same but the speed of flow through the valve is increased. This keeps the valve operational for longer but is just moving all the filth further into the manifold. Blanking is good for the engine. Restrictor is just moving deposited elsewhere.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts