Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys,

Today I replaced my rear springs following the instructions provided by Coxy1. I've bombined all his seperate PDF parts into 1 big one. Alfa Romeo 159 Spring Replace Manual

I have the luck that my car has the damper bolt in the wrong way. Since I din't have a spare bolt I needed to remove the spring without removing the damper. So this is an extra on top of the "how to" Coxy1 write.

(in the attachment are the same pics).

Here we see the lucky bolt.

Crack the bolt, and turn in ~3 times. This creates the little room we need later on.

(at this point, you should have done all instuctions from Coxy1 up to point 9. I didn't remove the bolts at point 10 yet, this causes the spring to move when compressing the spring in a late stadium. Personal choice.)

Jack up the subframe so we do not have to turn the spring compressor manual as much.

Compress the spring as shown in the picture below. This is the minimum you need to compress to get the damper out of the hole at the top. To get the damper out of the whole it would be easy if you have someone standing on the subframe. Ofcourse you need to remove the jack below the subframe first. While he is kinda jumping on it, you can pull the spring with the damper inside out of the hole.

Since we loosened the big nut of the damper a little, we should be able to move the damper a little towards you.

Now we have enough room to do things. Next step, remove the nut from the damper. Keep the center from moving using a small wrench.

You can compress the demper by pushing down. Keep it down (it slowly rises). Now you have created enough room between the top of the damper and wheelarch, lift the spring out.

Resulting in a lonely damper.

Compress your new spring, and reverse the process.

I've damaged my new springs a little with the compressor. Since I don't want to repeat this process in the future, I have painted the little damaged parts with Hammerite, luckily I had some Hammerite that was the same colour as the new Eibach spring. In the pic below you can see the damages.

Don't forget to tighten the damper nut at the bottom!!

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
This is very handy stuff. My right side rear spring has cracked so im toying with the idea of replacing the oem ones with eibachs. I just worry that it will bottom out on those huge speedbumps!

·
Registered
195 Posts
I dont think you should have any problem removing that bolt, mine was facing the same way and i had no problem removing it. A lot easier to remove the spring with the shock assembly comletely out. Sombody got the bolt inn that way, so it must go out as well

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is very handy stuff. My right side rear spring has cracked so im toying with the idea of replacing the oem ones with eibachs. I just worry that it will bottom out on those huge speedbumps!
Just go a little slower over speedbumps?

I dont think you should have any problem removing that bolt, mine was facing the same way and i had no problem removing it. A lot easier to remove the spring with the shock assembly comletely out. Sombody got the bolt inn that way, so it must go out as well
I questioned my self the same thing. But I got the nut out 3/4cm until the head of the bolt touched the frame. It still needed to come for atleast another 3cm. I tried a lot to get it out, but there simply was no room.

So for anyone facing the same problems I posted how I did it. If you do manage to get the bolt out, just ignore this *how to*

·
Registered
307 Posts
A good guide, but if the bolt is the wrong way, it can easily driven out. Then you just get the scissor jack out the boot and push the rear arm down more by putting it in between the subframe and arm (the bush allows for this). Then you dont need to compress the spring so much.

·
Registered
775 Posts
does anyone have a standard spring or uprated one not fitted to the car?

i am trying to measure the free length, internal diameter and spring rate so that i can custom order some springs

many thanks in advance

1 - 8 of 8 Posts