Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had occasion to try this the other day in a vain attempt to upgrade to LED lamps (see separate thread)

I took a few pics, with the correct tools this is a very simple job. Safety first, because you are handling wiring make sure your ignition is off and key removed, disconnect battery to be doubly sure.

You need a 5p coin (or a wide bladed screwdriver)
Small 1/4 or 3/8 ratchet
10mm deep socket
short extension for socket (you WILL need this!)
tools.jpg

You need to remove 1 trim panel and 1 plastic plug per cluster to access the 4 nuts you need to remove. Panel is held by two captive plastic fixings (unscrew 1/4 turn with coin) and same with round plastic plug.
Trim screw location.jpg

You should then easily see 3 of the 4 studs holding the lamp cluster, the one furthest out towards the wheel is buried a little deeper (not visible in this pic) where you will need to use extension on your ratchet. The one circled green is the fiddly one
nut location.jpg

Slacken off nuts and use fingers for the last few turns .. dont drop em you wont find em again. Be careful of the nut recessed in the round hole covered by the plug, I unscrewed a few turns with ratchet and then used socket on its own to ease this off, keeping it tilted up so the nut stayed in the socket.
careful with this nut.jpg

Once you have removed all four nuts the cluster will be free of the bodywork, and just retained by the loom, you can leave this attached. Just pull the sealing rubber to one side to access lamp holders, these require a 1/4 turn twist to free them from the cluster. Picture shows stop/tail lamp holder with LED lamp installed
lamp cluster free.jpg

As they say in all good manuals assembly is the reverse of removal procedure

Hope this helps somebody and saves trip to the dealer; should take about 10 / 15 mins for this job.

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
Perfect. :thumbs:

And remember, if it's the brake light gone you
can just swap it with the tail light instead of buying a
new bulb.

;)

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
Perfect. :thumbs:

And remember, if it's the brake light gone you
can just swap it with the tail light instead of buying a
new bulb.

;)
Cheers guys; :) it was one of your posts Nev that got me started so owe you a credit!,

Good point about the stop/tail lamps. I ordered tail only, which wont actually fit as the pin configuration on the base is different.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Many thanks for the guidance - it came in useful today! However, note that the black plastic cover that sits on top of the light cluster should be removed before you try to pull out the cluster itself. Otherwise you risk snapping off the plastic (!) lugs that hold the cover on. It should be possible to gently prise off the cover before you start.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Many thanks for the guidance - it came in useful today! However, note that the black plastic cover that sits on top of the light cluster should be removed before you try to pull out the cluster itself. Otherwise you risk snapping off the plastic (!) lugs that hold the cover on. It should be possible to gently prise off the cover before you start.
Good call as I found out about a month ago, looked at the discription in my handbook on how to do it what a joke, however this guide for me was brill with the exception of what you have said about the plastic covers.
It took me quite some time to fathom it out and I meant to do as you have by updated this thread but went Holliday and forgot all about it

·
Registered
372 Posts
Resurrecting this thread as I'm going to attempt to remove one of my rear light clusters to tackle the condensation problem.

Can anyone tell me the best way to remove the back plastic cover on top of the cluster as others have mentioned this should be done before freeing the actual cluster?

Where's the best place to prise it from?

·
Registered
Alfa 156 2,0 JTS SW, Brera 3,2 JTS Q4
39 Posts
Resurrecting this thread as I'm going to attempt to remove one of my rear light clusters to tackle the condensation problem.

Can anyone tell me the best way to remove the back plastic cover on top of the cluster as others have mentioned this should be done before freeing the actual cluster?

In my Brera the black plastic come out with lamp cluster, no extra job needed.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts

Get a good size screwdriver in around the edge anywhere you can. Push it in as far into the middle as you can and then lever up - the fixings are roughly in the middle IIRC.

Reactions: GlasgowMito

·
Registered
372 Posts
Thanks, had a quick go there and it seems very well stuck on. My socket set isn't deep enough for the light fixings wo will have another go tomorrow after a quick B&Q trip.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
You do need to use a bit of force, don't be too gentle with it.

I too had to buy another socket set. A bit of a faff for what it is.
It should be possible to change a bulb by the side of the road in a couple of minutes. Sadly, that's not the case here.

·
Registered
Alfa 159 2.0 JTDm Lusso 6sp.
5,810 Posts
Glad there is none of that with the 159....just change the bulb....no cluster out nonsense. As said Im surprised its not a legal requirement to be able to quickly swap a bulb at the roadside in an emergency. On my wifes old Mk1 Tigra you had to remove the front bumper to change the front left indicator bulb!!!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Got the job done after work today - now that I have a suitable socket it was actually a very easy job.

Brake light went yesterday so replaced that, drilled one tiny hole on the bottom of the external casing and left the light cluster sat with the hoover in one light bulb hole and a hairdryer in the other for a few mins.

Will see how it does now but praying it doesn't fog up again

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks Curious Orange for the great photos from 2010 - worked a treat on changing my right brake light and didn't drop a screw!!!! Also re-sealed the right light unit at the same time as it was starting to get misting in it when it rains - a great Alfa afternoon!!! Now for the annoying yellow engine warning light that just came on and the the long running vehicle protection system not available warning - once these are done I might even have all green on my dash!!!!:rotate::rotate:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts