Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Sorry to sound like ridiculous if it's too easy job.

But I couldn't figure it out.

I also couldn't just open lower bolt.

The link rod looks like this,
http://i31.twenga.com/3/tp/83/55/6886761857617168355.png

Which makes it confusing me. Even though you release all bolts and take them out it won't come out due to its shape. if you hit it to release from ARB it will go dipper from another side.

Please advise me!

·
Registered
257 Posts
You should do one side at a time and leave the opposite side secure.

Easiest way is don't waste your time with loosening them off... Use an angle grinder with a cutting disc and grind between the AR bar and the bolt, between the rubber joint. You should feel a slight ridge inside it before it goes into the ball joint... Cut it there. It takes 5 minutes per side and then its just a task of knocking what is left of the remaining bolt through with a sturdy screwdriver or a centre punch and a hammer.
Install the new drop links with the top bolt first.
You can then use a trolley jack or even a bottle jack to gently adjust the height of the anti-rollbar ends back into position to allow easier fitment of the new drop link's bottom bolts tap lightly with a hammer to make sure that the bolts are seated as far as they will go in and then intall the securing nuts.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Have just done this when replacing the front suspension, cut them off as they were so corroded the hex head in the end of the stud was totally useless, before you go that route though check whether the links are original, the non oem ones I put on have a pair of flats for an open end spanner, you stand some chance of undoing them if they have. If you jack the car up using the jacking points then you can use another jack to adjust the position of the droplink/wishbone to get a better chance of good leverage. If you have a small blowlamp, the sort the missus uses to sear meat etc then you can try burning out the back of the ball joint, it's only plastic, after you've cut the link you can lever it off the ball and then clamp a vice grip onto it and undo the nut.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts

·
Registered
9,177 Posts
Hope they last longer than the Pug 206 front ones I got off ebay ... two weeks!!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Link rods (front,rear) ordered from Ebay arrived today. They look like toys... not just like toys but cheap made-in-china looking toys! I am not sure would it be worth doing DIY replacing ones with these toys.

·
0 Posts
Hope they last longer than the Pug 206 front ones I got off ebay ... two weeks!!
:eek:

Link rods (front,rear) ordered from Ebay arrived today. They look like toys... not just like toys but cheap made-in-china looking toys! I am not sure would it be worth doing DIY replacing ones with these toys.
Got mine off the 'bay - been fitted over a year no probs :D

Can you post a pic of yours?

·
Registered
745 Posts
Once you get the bolts off the old Droplinks you 'll need to raise the lower suspension arm slightly to bring the ARB and the lower arm into position to remove the bolts. ( i placed axle stand under join of lower wishbone to do this) they should just tap out once lined up.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just to be being silly I tried to get the bolts off by force. Took 3h in total. Only 1 side done and now left front rod upper bolt out but lower bolt doesn't wanna come off. I will cut it off tomorrow as I will buy a brand new cutter for that deadly bolt.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This is the image of the link rod that I said it looks like a toy.

http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/208/dscn2683.jpg

Well,,

It took me so many hours to get things off.. totally exhausted.. took actually 2 days.. fitted.. car jacked down..

broken!

I didn't have chance to drive a car even...

Ebay product is really reliable? At least for me it was not!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts