1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's how i redid my rocker cover

You will need

-paint scraper
-high temperature paint (I used Halfords Very High Temperature paint, metallic red, €8.99 a can)
-wire brush and/or brilo pad
-vaseline
-glass jar
-nitromors (or similar)
-rubber gloves
-bowl for water
-2 cloths
-fairy dishwash liquid

**Nitromors is a major skin irritant, wear the gloves before using the Nitromors**​

How to do it

First off, clean the rocker cover (best way is using a power sprayer if you have one or even just at the jet wash)

Prop the rocker cover on some bricks or rocks.

Then put some Nitromors in the glass jar, get the paintbrush and put a good coat all over the painted surface. Be sure to dab the paintbrush into the paintwork alot to get into all the nooks & crannies

Leave it for 15-20 mins.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Take the paint scraper and start removing the paint. Don't worry about being overly precise this first time.

Now put another coat of Nitromors on, thicker than before, and again, leave for about 20 mins.

When you come back to it again, use the water and cloth and wash the Nitromors off.

Then take the paint scraper again and go at the paint again. Start using the wire brush to help remove the paint.

Once you're happy with the paint removal, pour fairy liquid onto it and using a different cloth rub the liquid in and the use water to wash it off completely.

Leave to dry overnight.

When it's dry, get the vaseline, and cover the tops of the lettering with a generous layer of vaseline. This will prevent the paint sticking there, so be sure to only get it on the letters themselves.

Prop it up on bricks and give it a layer of paint, wait for about 15-20 mins (it should be touch dry), then give it another coat of paint and leave for a couple of hours.

Give it another 2 layers of paint with a 15-20min gap between.

Leave to dry for another couple of hours.

Take the paint scraper and go at the lettering with it. The paint will come off fairly easily anywhere that has vaseline under the layers of paint.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now, going by what it said on the Paint can, it needs to be cured by being exposed to heat for an hour or so.
To do this, I put the rocker cover back on the engine, left the bonnet open and left the engine running like that for a while letting the heat of the engine cure it.

·
Registered
267 Posts
:)

·
Registered
267 Posts
I didn't know that TSs had rocker covers:) !

Good piece; now I know how to do my cam covers.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good write up :cool: - is it a kinda matt finish?
It's supposed to be metallic, but it's not... :rolleyes: stupid halfrauds.. not bothered anyway, i'm happy with the results :thumbs:

I didn't know that TSs had rocker covers:) !

Good piece; now I know how to do my cam covers.
glad it's to be of help :D

@paintergirl: thanks :)

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
i didnt do nearly that much work :|

removed from engine, cleaned with soapy water, sprayed with high temp paint, painted lettering by hand.. left to dry for a few hours... stuck it back on :D

looked decent to me :D

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i didnt do nearly that much work :|

removed from engine, cleaned with soapy water, sprayed with high temp paint, painted lettering by hand.. left to dry for a few hours... stuck it back on :D

looked decent to me :D
:lol: lazy bugger :p

ah sure, i was thinking about not stripping the paint, but i figured i probably should...
I was going to do it red with black lettering anyway, turned out the plastic was black, so no need :D that saved me some time :thumbs:

·
Registered
Giulia Quad, Cayman GT4, Cayenne Turbo
23,458 Posts
its a bit orangey lookin isnt it? Or is that the camera?

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@operationalfa: that is the camera, although, I will admit it's a lighter red than i was expecting

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
i used the glossy red with gold lettering and it looked superb :)

mind you im not one for doing things the 'proper' way... ported my engine with a dremel :D

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
With a plastic cover there probally would have been no need to you high temp paint. A good prima and good coats of both colour and lacyer probally would have done the same job.

Not taken with the matt finish of the high temp paint myself but looks an even finish and offers something different than the standard silver factory cover

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I've found in the past that high temp spray paint is alittle too nearer the orange side of red rather than the classic fire engine red you would expect.

I used brush on high temp paint for my a few of my cars in the past, although the finish is not as smooth as spray it did give the required colour:

Saxo VTS 16v

Volvo 740 2.3

XR2i CVH

Gen2 Pelude EX

·
Registered
20 Posts

Please excuse the dirty engine. Its all black now and very clean as a new head is just about to go on. The manifold is heat wrapped along with the whole s/s system back to the back box.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts