Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

I had to change the N/S/F caliper and the reservoir went dry. I bleed all 4 corners with new fluid until all air was out. O/R, N/R. O/F and N/F. is this the correct sequence for a UK Alfa Romeo 156 2.0 JTS 2005?

I have brakes but they feels spongy with too much pedal travel. So I think I have introduced air into the abs module.

Anyone know of the correct procedure on how to use Fiat Multiecuscan to correctly purge the ABS of air and in what order to re-bleed the braking system again?

Or do you know of a tutorial that explains how to purge the ABS of air and correctly re-bleed the braking system that I can follow please?

Thanks for any help

·
Registered
30,222 Posts
If you don't have a working Multiecuscan setup, you can try bleeding at the unions on the ABS unit.
You can also try getting air out of the ABS by triggering it by locking the wheels on a poor grip surface, ie grass, then rebleed at the calipers again. Obviously that will only work once you have them working well enough to lock!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you don't have a working Multiecuscan setup, you can try bleeding at the unions on the ABS unit.
You can also try getting air out of the ABS by triggering it by locking the wheels on a poor grip surface, ie grass, then rebleed at the calipers again. Obviously that will only work once you have them working well enough to lock!!
Hi David, thanks for your quick reply. I do have a working copy of Multiecuscan but I can't work out how to use it to purge the ABS module.

Do I activate the ABS motor/pump with Multiecuscan before bleeding or do I activate it during bleeding the brakes?

When I activate the ABS load and drain in the Multiecuscan software, is the purpose of this to purge the air from the ABS module or is it just to test that the system is working?

Thanks

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
I don't know if MES has changed? But it did claim to be purging the abs but it wasn't. You have to connect at abs pump with the green connection and run the programme from there.
In the end and after a nightmare I used a field as David advisess and went rally crossing before bleeding after getting abs to kick in on the grass. I wish you luck as I found my abs experience a nightmare.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
The air is likely to be in the cylinder not the abs. Try bleeding direct from banjo bolts at the master cylinder. Worked for me after changing brake lines.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know if MES has changed? But it did claim to be purging the abs but it wasn't. You have to connect at abs pump with the green connection and run the programme from there.
In the end and after a nightmare I used a field as David advisess and went rally crossing before bleeding after getting abs to kick in on the grass. I wish you luck as I found my abs experience a nightmare.
Glad you got it all sorted.

I managed to get Fiat Multiecuscan to work with the ABS module. My findings are below.

But what I'm trying to find out is do I just activate the pump motor to purge any air out of the ABS module and does that have to be done before or during the brake bleeding process or both?

Front left load valve = 1 quit relay click and a few seconds later followed by another.
Front right load valve = 1 quit relay click and a few seconds later followed by another.
Rear left load valve = 1 quit relay click and a few seconds later followed by another.
Rear right load valve = 1 quit relay click and a few seconds later followed by another.

Front left drain valve = several load clicks and a few seconds later followed by several more clicks.
Front right drain valve = several load clicks and a few seconds later followed by several more clicks.
Rear left drain valve = several load clicks and a few seconds later followed by several more clicks.
Rear right drain valve = several load clicks and a few seconds later followed by several more clicks.

Pump motor = I can here the ABS pump motor start up then it turns off and a few seconds later followed by the motor running again for a short time before shutting off again.

Do I have to anything with the load and drain valves to purge air out of the ABS or is this part just to test the valves are working correctly?

Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The air is likely to be in the cylinder not the abs. Try bleeding direct from banjo bolts at the master cylinder. Worked for me after changing brake lines.
Is there a photo anywhere to show what and where the banjo bolts are and do I pressure bleed the system and just crack open the bolts until all air is out?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
In my experience the abs doesn't need cycling but getting the air out of the system is a pain. After flushing litres of fluid with no success I found advice from this site to bleed from the unions at the cylinder first. Worked a treat and not too difficult.

Explained here:

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-147-156-andamp-gt/298352-brake-master-cylinder-156-a.html#/enter

1 - 9 of 9 Posts