Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my weekly drive from oxford back home to warrington, I hit the inevitable tailback on the M6 through Birmingham. This journey takes me about 3.5 to 4 hours and it gets incredibly boring so I've come up with a little game to help me through the mind numbing boredom.

Counting Alfa's that I pass.

Yesterday i passed 40 Alfa's during the entire journey. Thats a record for me. The majority were 159s suprisingly, mainly Ti's. Next was 156s closely followed by GTs and a few 147's and the odd GTV. I saw only one Mito though.

It's quite a enjoyable little game just make sure you keep one eye on were your going or there could be one less Alfa on the road.:lol:

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
That seems like loads. I don't tend to see many 159s/Breras/Spiders on my motorway travels.

For fun, you need to compare that number to Audis/BMWs/Mercs....

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
3.5 to 4 hours :eek:

Do you do the trip in reverse :confused:

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alfa's are so easy to pick out as well. The Bm's, Audi's, VW's, Fords, vauxhall's all seem to blend in to one big bland blur.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I do the section from junction 14 to 12 every weekday morning at around 7.30 and the reverse in the evening any time between 5 and 6pm (don't you just love the road works?) So, if you spot a Stromboli Grey GT driven by a middle aged blonde woman give me a wave :)

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do the section from junction 14 to 12 every weekday morning at around 7.30 and the reverse in the evening any time between 5 and 6pm (don't you just love the road works?) So, if you spot a Stromboli Grey GT driven by a middle aged blonde woman give me a wave :)
What road works? I thought the speed limit had just been reduced to 50mph!:lol:

I'll keep an eye out, or just wave at everyone.:thumbs:

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
You know the M6 Toll is well worth the £5 (or however much it is now) :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You know the M6 Toll is well worth the £5 (or however much it is now) :thumbs:
Don't get me started on that thing! The M6 has more plastic (cones) on it than tarmac and the price of the toll road keeps going up? Coincidence, I think not.:mad:

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Meh, maybe so, but I'd still rather pay for the privilege of driving along a nice empty motorway, than sit in a traffic jam :(

Quite agree this shouldn't be the case though - the roadworks North of the toll road are awful too, last time I went that way was around 11 o'clock one night and they were just putting the cones out. 50 limits and lane closures every couple of miles, no sooner was I up to cruising speed than I had to slow right back down again. A soul-destroying bit of road! I'll be taking the A5 from Junction 12 and then the A41 this weekend :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll be taking the A5 from Junction 12 and then the A41 this weekend :thumbs:
Where are you going? The A41 is a lovely bit of road but if you are heading further north then get on the A49 off the A41 around Whitchurch. If you get a clear stretch it's a brilliant road, all crests and dips and little chicanes. It will bring you out on the M56 about 2 miles from the M6 so you just turn right onto the M56 and get back on the M6.:thumbs:

I'll do this if I know there is bad traffic or an accident on the M6, takes a bit longer but I always get home with a smile on my face.:thumbs:

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Where are you going? The A41 is a lovely bit of road but if you are heading further north then get on the A49 off the A41 around Whitchurch. If you get a clear stretch it's a brilliant road, all crests and dips and little chicanes. It will bring you out on the M56 about 2 miles from the M6 so you just turn right onto the M56 and get back on the M6.:thumbs:

I'll do this if I know there is bad traffic or an accident on the M6, takes a bit longer but I always get home with a smile on my face.:thumbs:
Absolutely, this is a great route :thumbs: Used to live on the A534 between Nantwich and Wrexham so this was my standard route back home in the uni holidays. Parents have now moved down the road towards Wrexham so the A49 will be a bit of a detour. Still looking forward to the drive though, much more fun than the roads around Surrey (from what I've seen so far anyway)!

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
And that stretch of the A41 off the A5 has been resurfaced. It's like Silverstone it's that smooth. So nice to get on a road like that. Maybe I'll sack the M6 off permanantly from now on.:)

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
I very rarely use the M6 at all now - occasionally I'll take it all the way up to 16 if I'm going to my girlfriend's in Nantwich, but generally I'll always take the Toll, then come off at 12 (first junction once you get back onto the normal M6) and use the above route the rest of the way :thumbs: Takes hardly any longer than using the motorway to get where I'm going and is always more fun :)

Only time I can't help it is when going to her place in Central Brum!

·
Registered
9,509 Posts
Last Saturday I had to go down to Plymouth to pick up 2 x Alfa 75s (including the ex-Clarkson Top Gear one) and bring them back up to Lancashire before delivering them to Newcastle on Sunday....imagine my happiness when as I approached the top of the M5 the signs declared that the exit onto M6 North was closed.....cue scenic tour of Wolverhampton at around 11.30 pm......then once back on M6, signs saying J13-J14 closed.....so now the surreal experience of queuing around downtown Stafford at midnight:rolleyes:.......

I was really happy to get home at about 1.30 am - only to discover it was actually 2.30 (BST!)

Delivering the cars up to Newcastle revealed that half the A1 has 50mph limits through the roadworks with the inevitable Specs cameras.......

Then testerday did a trip to Colchester and back to deliver a 166 - and it seems like the other half of the A1 is equally roadworks, camera and Specs afflicted.....as was the M62 over the Pennines on the return journey........

I'm beginning to wonder how we manage to actually get anywhere in this country......admittedly last night there were some huys working on the M62 roadworks, but half the time there's absolutely B****r-all happening.

I should try the Alfa counting game, though....do seem to be seeing a few more, these days:)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts