Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a how to for people that suffer with GTVs that dont demist due to a faulty recirculation flap.

To diagnose whether your recird flap is faulty in a ph. 1 GTV, press the recirc button with the igniton only on. If you dont hear a motor turning by the passenger footwell, there is a good chance that your motor is broken.

To get the recirc flap out of recirc you will need to do the following:-

Remove the three 5mm allen key bolts on the bottom of the glovebox.
Remove the five(?) small allen key bolts inside the glovebox.

This will allow the glovebox to drop down away from the dashboard. Undo the glovebox light connector and you can remove the glovebox fully.

If you look into the hole where the glovebox was, you will see a flat piece of foam above the fan motor. This is the recirc flap. If it is angled towards the front of the car, it is in recirc. To get it out of recirc youll need to get the flap pulled towards you.

In order to do this, youll need to disconnect the motor. First undo the electrical connector which feeds the recirc flap motor. This is located to the left of the recirc flap. Its a small black connector.

Then, connected to the motor, you will see a small metal rod which comes from the recird flap motor and joins to the flap itself. This is on the left of the flap. There is a small plastic Alfa rod connector on the end of the rod. All you need to do is unhook the plastic clip from the rod and pull out the rod.

This will leave the flap "flapping"(!) about in its chamber. All I did was used some silver lagging tape, although any other super sticky tape will do, and I taped the flap so it is pulled away from the front of the car.

Obvoiusly you wont be able to use the recirc mode, but its a hell of a lot easier than replacing the motor, and cheaper!

Then all you need to do is replace the glovebox. Dont forget to plug the light connector back in!

Hope this helps demist everyones screens this winter!! :lol:

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've never heard a motor engage when I use the recirc button on my phase1 & don't have much of a problem demisting the screen - perhaps its stuck on vent?

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
Recirc is such a waste of time IMO, I never use it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Faulty Recirculation Flap Motor

I have a phase 1 2.0 GTV, and had the same problem with constantly misting up windows.

Having followed Tom's advice at the top of this thread (thanks Tom), I found that the flap was stuck in the recirculate position. I've disconnected the motor and taped the flap "open".

I noticed that with the ignition on, the motor felt warm: I'm assuming this indicates a faulty motor.

Does anybody know how many screws hold the motor to the housing? I think there are two. I managed to undo the screw facing the inside of the car, but can't get a screwdriver onto the screw closer to the bulkhead. I think that it may be possible to get a small cranked screwdriver in there but don't have one - yet!

One thing that I hadn't realised is that, according to the handbook, setting the fan speed control to "Off" puts the system in recirculate mode. Thus the flap / motor was getting much more use than I had thought.

BTW this is my first post on the forum, which has been very useful in understanding some of the quirks of the GTV, so wanted to say thanks to all the contributors.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi all, I fixed the issue today and took some photos for sharing. Apparently, it wasn't the motor faulty nor heater sensor, the flap didn't work just because the turning arms (blue colour components in the photos) went apart. By right, they are attached together with the slot-pin on their arms.

Follow steps to confirm if this is the case:
- Turn key to MAR.
- Press recir button, hear motor noise behind glove box to confirm working.
- Turn temperature dial to confirm temp is adjustable.
- Turn vent direction dial to confirm working.

Follow steps to fix:
- Pull the flap arm clear away slightly using a long screwdriver.
- Move the motor arm inwards by pressing the recir button.
- Let go on screwdriver slowly, rest the slot over the pin approximately.
- Remove screwdriver.
- Engage the slot and pin using your fingers.

Test run the motorised flap before your reinstate the glove box.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts