Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, the buttons on my 147 fob have stopped working, I have changed the battery etc but just get nothing when pressing the buttons no door lock, unlock or boot release. I wondered if the buttons have become mis-aligned or if the board has got some dirt on it. I have taken the battery out but how do you then get the board out to have a look at it ? Are the 2 halves supposed to come apart and if so how do you do it, I didn't want to apply brute force without checking first !

·
Registered
45 Posts
the fob is glued/welded together. with a bit of patience you can open them with a sharp knife but don't blame me if you lose any fingers:rolleyes: The button usually falls off the circuit board and can be soldered back on.:cool:

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
If you can feel the switches clicking then the chances of both failing at exactly the same time are pretty slim and point to a different problem. Obviously if the key rattles or there is no switch to feel underneath the button then you may have a loose switch.

If you have one of the all-plastic keys you can check for dirt build-up without opening the key. Take out the battery and *carefully* abrade the battery contacts inside the key. A nail file is good, or use a sharp knife with great care - not for your fingers, for the delicate circuit board. If you have bad contacts then this is where the problem will be. You can also see into the key and see if the board has shifted. If the key is the softer rubberised feel then they are a better design and dirt will not be the problem.

Has the key been damp? Peer into the tiny battery slot and look for blueish fuzz around the tracks. These keys rot easily when damp even if for only a few days. Another common fault is a break in one of the legs on the main chip. Don't try to fix either of these unless you *really* know what you are doing or you will fry the key.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can hear a clicking behind all the 3 rubber buttons when pressed so that suggested that they are conecting then ?? No blue fuzz. Where are the contacts for the battery inside, I have the hard plastic key with the 3 rubber buttons on the side.

thanks

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
I think that is what I mean by the rubberised key. Does the battery holder have a sort of chrome triple-sprong arrangement on it? If so you won't have dirt on the contacts problem. Double check the side of the battery holder for the battery fitting directions to make sure it is in the correct way around (sorry - but it is an easy mistake to make).

If the battery holder is just a plastic holder with no metal sprongs then the metal sprongs are visible just inside the case, pressed up against the circuit board. If you can't see them they they may have fallen out (which would explain everything!).

There are professional repair listings on eBay if you are interested :rolleyes: Search for "Alfa key" and you will find, usually the last listing:)

·
Registered
17,658 Posts
If you want to take the forb apart.... then prise out the Alfa badge (it's held in with double sided sticky tape) You'll find a small screw underneath the badge. Undo it.... and you'll be in.

But I must say (as has been said above) it's very unlikely that all the switces would fail (if you're good with a soldering iron they can be replaced). So as has been said.... I'd check the battery connections.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks alfagj, I have tried taking it to bits and had a go at the contacts but couldn't see anything obvious wrong, all the switches were intact so it looks like its busted :-( I know theres and AO guy that does keys on ebay so I will send it to him. Thanks for all the advice it was worth a try.

·
Registered
30 Posts
thanks! just soldered the chips back on the pcbs and now both fobs work!! and the windows go up and down... nice!!:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

·
Registered
30 Posts
tip: use a low temp iron and make sure all the broken contacts are clean from the manufacturing lacour, and use self fluxing solder. (you will have to modify the element tip because access is tight.)

·
Registered
617 Posts
Hello there, I have 2 issues with my keys.
Any advice greatly appreciated!!

1. Both keys flash red when I press the buttons.
All three on each.
They only operate at extremely close range. If at all.
Used to be able to 'zap' it from inside the house down the road a bit.
I've changed the batteries, they were cheapo ones so got a proper
Duracell one and same thing.
On both keys.
I guess it's a problem the car end then?
Any suggestions please?

2. Alfa don't supply the plastic outer casing separately.
My ones are really tatty now.
So my option is to get an aftermarket one.
Looking online, many customer reviews say cheap 'quality'
Etc. so I am wondering please if anyone can recommend a good
Aftermarket supplier to go for please?
And maybe even a link? ;-)

Many thanks in advance for any help!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts