Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi people,

I am looking to make my tail pipes look as godo as new. I have tried using chrome polish with very limited results.

Does anyone have any experience of rechroming? painting? cleaning? etc. etc.

Hope to hear from you soon,

Ryan

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Ultra fine wet & dry, wire wood, autosol finished off with peak & a high temp wheel sealer.

Basically, elbow grease:lol:

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow! That is really good! Is the left hand side the uncomplete side and the right the newly polished area?
Have you tried this on the exhaust tailpipes?

·
Registered
415 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Wow! That is really good! Is the left hand side the uncomplete side and the right the newly polished area?
Have you tried this on the exhaust tailpipes?
Yeah thats it.

Did this take any scratches out? Or just buff it?
Seemed to actually remove the scratches, plus I only spent about 10 mins doing it, a good session may yield even better results. It works good on exhaust tips but the chrome has actually come off on mine so cant really comment.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Brasso is good as a finishing polish but not up to heavy soiling.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
1) Use a Steamer with some BBQ Cleaner to remove all the crud
2) Use "0000" Ultra Fine Wire Wool with a good quality metal polish paste / compound (Autosol, AG etc.)
3) Dremel Tool with Polishing Pads will remove light scratches, swirls etc. and always apply more polish with tool
4) I then finish with PBW Wheel Sealer using a foam pad, leave to cure for 10 mins
5) Apply 2-3 coats of this with a 10 min interval to fully cure
6) Hand finish with a MF cloth

Job is a lot easier with the exhaust off the car, as you can clean and polish the entire system.

Here is the Before and After on my Ragazzon...

Attachments

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the advice guys I gave my polish and they cam out pretty good, I did stray from the instructions here and did a combination of all them.

This is what I did:

1.) Clean the exhaust tips with bucket of water
2.) Used ultra fine wet and dry (2500 I think) with WD40 to rub the chrome down
3.) Washed them again
4.) Applied T-Cut chrome cleaner and polish using the mop head and a electric hand drill multiple times
5.) Then applied 3 coats of wheel sealant, Autoglym product

I did remove the rear ground spoiler and loosen the exhaust to get better excess which was the hardest bit. I am very happy with the results.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts