Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bit of a funny request:
I'm installing a replacement turbo to my GT 1.9JTD tomorrow and the instructions say "crank the engine but do not start" (to prime the oil circuit).
I was thinking of either clamping down or disconnecting the fuel inlet hose to the fuel filter but not sure if the amount in the system would still allow the engine to fire up?
I also thought removing the injector electrical plugs but not sure if that would cause any issues with the ECU.
Any thoughts? Is there an easier/safer way to make the engine crank but not start?
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
I don't know for sure but I'd expect a fault code to be logged.
I can't think offhand of a way where a code might not be logged though.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Just to feedback here, I chose to disconnect the cam sensor at the end and it did the job and no faults were logged.
How many time did you crank the engine?
This give me idea to do this when change the engine oil becouse I will drain oil cooler...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Turbo instructions said 10-15 seconds but I ended up doing 3 lots of 10-15 second cranking with some gap in between (whilst I sorted out an oil leak on turbo return line -cheap gasket- and retested).
Having said that, I personally wouldn't feel comfortable cranking the engine when the oil is drained.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Just to feedback here, I chose to disconnect the cam sensor at the end and it did the job and no faults were logged.
How many time did you crank the engine?
This give me idea to do this when change the engine oil becouse I will drain oil cooler...
Can’t see it will drain oil cooler if oil already empty as pump will not be pumping anything as sump already drained.

Also I wouldn’t want to crank an engine that has no oil around pick up that’s just asking for trouble.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts