Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this is the wrong section for this post!

So I found some 147 TI wheels for cheap (attached picture), but am skeptical that they may be replicas. Is there an easy way to know?

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’ve read that these can go out of true as they are quite lightweight.
According to the seller they are straight and whatnot, but hes the one tryna take my money. Might have to take my time and put them on before buying, take it for a ride to see if there are any weird noises or pulling to either side.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
There is an Italian firm which produced quite a few reproduction 156, 147 and GT wheels but I forget the name. I'm sure the TI rims dropped off their supply list around 2017/2018. I don't think they do rims for our cars anymore but probably can for Giulietta, Giulia etc.

TI rims are known to bend easily. A wheel balancing machine would show up how true they are.

·
Registered
591 Posts
It's easy to check that a wheel is reasonably straight. Jack one front wheel off the ground and remove the wheel. Place the wheel to be inspected on the hub, start the motor, select first gear, and let the clutch pedal out. The wheel will now be rotating and you should be able to easily any significant rim runout.

Make sure the car is stable before starting the engine. I wouldn't rely on a scissor jack, use a car stand or trolley jack. If the car has a LSD then jack both front wheels off the ground, not just one...

A faulty and / or worn tyre might cause a 'pull', but a bent wheel won't.

Regards,
John.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Typically replica wheels do not have the same sort of markings as genuine equipment. Finer details in logos may be missing, or different etc. Replica wheels are usually not the same weight as genuine as well.

I only know of replica AMG wheels, and for those it's quite obvious, especially if you can have a look at the back of them and find a lack of part numbers or other indicators.

Maybe these wheels are just cheap because he just really wants them gone and wants a few dollars in this covid struck world.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Mike,
Not the sort of thing I would usually pay attention to, but I just happened to notice our relative post counts. Now we are level pegging, until your next one...

Regards,
John.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I had the 17" Ti wheels from my late 916 Spider refurbished a couple of years ago. I took a couple of pictures of the markings on the back for future reference. Perhaps you could ask the vendor for pictures of the back of the wheels and compare?

Attachments

·
Administrator
87,338 Posts
Those aren't original ti alloys on your Spider, they'd be 17*7 with an ET (offset) of 40.5mm for a 147/156 and made by Toora.

·
Registered
30,105 Posts
Those are 7.5"x17" p/n 60691793 and were listed for the facelifed Spider.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I had the 17" Ti wheels from my late 916 Spider refurbished a couple of years ago. I took a couple of pictures of the markings on the back for future reference. Perhaps you could ask the vendor for pictures of the back of the wheels and compare?
[/QUOTE
Are they genuine? I always thought that the genuine AR were 7'' wide while the Toora 620 (I own them) were 7,5''. If I see well, yours are 7,5''.They are not the commercial Toora model of course.

·
Registered
30,105 Posts
Are they genuine? I always thought that the genuine AR were 7'' wide while the Toora 620 (I own them) were 7,5''. If I see well, yours are 7,5''.They are not the commercial Toora model of course.
Those are genuine Alfa wheels for the 916 Spider.
You can see the Alfa p/n, Alfa parts symbol, etc. on the back.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Sorry for the confusion I seem to have created.

I was aware that the late 916 Spider Ti style wheels were a different size to the 147/156 Ti wheels (I used to have a 147 Ti).
I just thought a comparison of the style, location and number of casting marks on the back could be used for a comparison.

Maybe I'll just keep quiet next time.

·
Registered
95 Posts
What about GTA wheels? I know that some have "Speedline" stamp on the back and some don't. Mine is the flat face type and has "Alfa Romeo" stamp, but no part number.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
I'm lost with all the different wheels for 156 etc. It would have been nice if someone did a tech guide sticky with photos, names, PN and data and even weights as even trawling through the forum still has me head scratching.

Then there is the Progression, Distinction thing!!?? Maybe Elegance as well but I didn't intend to hijack the thread.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts